what's up with my black moor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lex

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had two goldfish in a 5gal desktop aquarium since February here at work. They are both about 2" and have been doing great up to this last week when the black moor began to act like he wasn't feeling well.

I can see no apparent signs of sickness other than he doesn't seem as strong/swim as well as he useed to, and he'll sit at the bottom wiggling every now and then but not getting anywhere.

The other fish, a calico fancy, is just the same as he's always been. Active, bright-eyed, hungry...

I've never had a fish act like this before and don't know how to diagnose it. Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks much
love lex

5 gal is really too small for goldfish unless you do very frequent water changes. Goldfish are enormous waste producers and thus create a very large bioload. That said, when was the last water change? and can you get a test kit, and test the parameters of the tank water? (ph, temp, nitrites, nitrates, ammonia, etc.)

Answer us these questions, and I'm sure someone will be able to help you. :wink:

I know 5 gal is too small for larger goldfish, which is why I stated they were still only 2" and I do water changes every friday before I leave at night of a gallon and a half. I tested this morning, ph7.8, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, and I don't have a nitrate kit right now, but with the water changes, I can't imagine they're very high.

I feed them a little bit of flakes and some irregular shaped pellets, if that brings anything to mind. I haven't put any additives in the water or treated it yet. *shrug*

Er. 5 gallon is too small for a single goldfish no longer than a half inch. You stunt their growth by keeping them in there, and most people are going to mention it as being somewhat inhumane.

I would suspect an illness of some sort, or the cramped confines have caused a health issue to develope. I know that's not the answer you're looking for, but goldfish really shouldn't be in anything less than a 10 gallon, and then only temporarily. I moved my goldfish from a 10 gallon to a 20 gallon when it reached 3 inches.

Back
Top Bottom