What's wrong with my fantail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaronalam

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I've owned this Fantail for about 4 years so far, always been happy, never had any problems with him (nor his mate) but over the last few days he has been acting really odd, lethargic even.

He keeps resting on the bottom of the tank, even almost on his side, he will rarely swim away from the area.

The tank houses another fantail and a few small tropical fish.

They have always been kept in warmer water (something I thought was OK back then), they have even spawned in these conditions, hopefully this isn't the reason.

All the other fish are 100%, water is ok, tank is 30 gallon, not sure where to go from here.

2x fantail, 4x golden barbs, few neon tetras.

Water params are fine, tested last night, can't remember exact nitrate but ammonia and nitrite is 0.

Well established tank, will do another test though.

Will try and get pics up soon.

Your nitrate level will help. Fancies will bottom-sit if nitrate levels are too high. I would do a 50% water change with temperature matched, properly conditioned water to start with.

What do you feed them (type/brand food, other foods)? A change in diet can sometimes make a dramatic difference if the issue is food-related. I believe in the UK, Interpret makes a swimbladder treatment though I am not personally familiar with it but its something you may want to consider trying as well. Beyond this & a diet change, unfortunately, there are not many options that are left unless you want to seek out the aid of an aquatic vet.

Back
Top Bottom