Whirling Disease in GBR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Borderlesscott

Aquarium Advice Addict
My dads GBR is showing symptoms of whirling disease, swimming in tight circle, staying in same location, still has good colour though - though the symptoms have only started.

Is it more humane to euthanize the fish using the clove oil method or should I try to treat with some Paraguard, Kanaplex etc - I hear it's mainly fruitless and can't be treated, and just let the fish live out its remaining days.

Myxobolus cerebralis is a potentially fatal disease, I'd personally euphanize the fish immediately. There are some that have treated successfully with Clout, if you choose this route treat the entire tank.

You guys have been having a tough go this week, good luck and any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:
Thanks HUKIT, we put him down earlier - Dad wanted to treat but wasn't right to put the old guy through more treatments. RIP Sid, 19 months old and survived so much for a Ram it's hard to believe.
Me and my dad wish we would have kept some of the many fry he and his partner produced now. He is finished with Rams now, Sid was his last of many, has had nothing but heartbreak with them in recent years, think he is getting to old for it. Think he is going to look into taking in rescue fish for his many tanks, no more breeding - trying to pass the torch on to me, be a while before I've the time to do it though.

Attachments

• image-1118569429.jpg
    image-1118569429.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
I would have to agree on immediate euthanasia if you are positive its whirling disease. Vitamin and mineral deficiencies (particularly absorbic acid), however, can cause similar symptoms. Its highly infectious and spores can remain dormant for 10yrs or longer in a habitat without a host. Unfortunately, there is no known cure or treatment. I am sorry :(

Back
Top Bottom