White cotton like substance covering my panda cory's mouth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HehDood

Aquarium Advice Newbie
*This is the second post. My first post was under saltwater and coral. My apologies I could not find how to change or delete the thread.*

Hello everyone I just joined the community and this is my first post. I have a 12 gallon Marineland eclipse PFE 1 tank that houses my corys and dwarf gourami. We do a water 25% change every Thursday where we siphon the gravel to get all the pleco poop out but did not do one over thanksgiving and will probably not do one today because of some medicine being used to treat the fish. We have had these fish for about over a month with no fish death. My African frog I got from the pet store did get stuck to the filter and later died but I don't believe its relevant because I removed him and put him into a spare fish bowl I had where he later passed.

my tank includes.

- 4 Corys which are a 1 julii 1 emerald 1 skunk and 1 panda
- 1 bristlenose pleco
-1 dwarf gourami

My problem is with my panda cory. His mouth seems to be covered in a cotton like substance that is only located at the mouth. From my research is seems that it could be columnaris but there is a great deal of contradictory views across the internet and no picture show it generalized around the mouth.

His behavior

-pretty lethargic and doesn't swim around a lot.
-perches himself on the highest point of the aquarium and stays there motionless.
-when he does move he seems to try and breach the water and get his mouth outside of it.
-I can not see any of his whiskers and he seems to be "panting" a great deal.

we purchased a Lifegaurd all in one treatment and is on day two of treating the whole tank and she did remove the carbon filter.

It doesn't seem to be getting better and I feel as if I need to take action and take a different approach, or just some reassurance that she is treating it correctly. I will post pictures but be aware its only at the mouth and my other fish seem to be fine.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 201
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 194
TY

thank you! Ill try another medicine. I'm pretty sure I have to cycle out the old medicine or wait 24 hours for it to dissolve completely. After I remove the lifeguard all in one treatment medicine I'll add one of the medicines you recommended. Again thank you for your time.

Use your carbon and a water change to remove the lifeguard.
Turn temp to middle low 70s.
Columnaris loves warm clean water so ;
not so hot and properly medicated is important to killing this disease.

Good luck and read those links they are good info.

Unfortunately, my panda Cory passed. For anyone else I had no problem finding Furan 2 was easy to find at my local LFS (not pet superstore) but it was harder to come across kanaplex. I'm treating the tank as of now with just Furan 2 and some aquarium salt. Kanaplex can be found online but to ship both of the meds overnight was over 50$. Best of luck to everyone.

yea kanamycin is usually only found at a Fish store, not petco/petsmart.
if you only have access (other people that read this) to those ^ stores, maracyn-2 minocycline works well for columnaris or other bacterial infectios, but it cant be combined with furan for fungus so just heat salt and clean hospital tank/tub water would have to take care of the fungal (maybe primafix?) aspect of fin rot.

Hi!
Sorry to hear about your cory. A few quick notes:
Cories are shoaling fish which should be kept in groups of 6 of the same species (meaning all panda or all bronze). Your julii is most likely a trilineatus (pet stores mislabel all the time)
A 12 gallon tank is too small for a proper group of cories IMO and also for a pleco.
Do you have a liquid test kit? Fish can be more susceptible to disease when they are not kept in optimum environments so knowing your tank parameters would likely be helpful as you continue in your fishkeeping endeavor.
I hope everything works out!

I've dealt with columnaris a few times. Usually I've been able to get it under control with Furan 2 or Fungus Cure. The last time I lost a few though. It progressed a lot faster than I was expecting.

If you have a couple bucks to blow, I don't see the harm in buying a few meds to stock. That's what I do because the PetSmarts and Petcos around me have a terrible selection or only one box

Kanaplex/kanamyacin & Furan2 combo attack.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just use the meds... Use the flakes secondly if the powdered meds dont work.

Not a bad idea... But The reason for meds is not all fish will take med flakes, and sick fish can be even pickier when eating.

TYTY

Thanks guys! I treated with the powder ( kana and furan) and was able to save the rest of my corys. I've also moved some fish around so I could address some concerns with appropriate sizing tanks for certain fish. You can check out my bio to see where everything is along with pictures of each of my tanks. As always, your input is very helpful and I appreciate any help you have to offer.

Back
Top Bottom