WHITE Oscar Child in need of help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

platinum2000

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey guys, i heard great things about this forum and i am happy to be aprt of it. I have a black and orange oscar (chiclid), but lately his black part is slowly but surely turning pale white, and not just spots but his whole skin is slowly turning white, any input would be appricated.

T.I.A.

Hi platinum2000, and welcome to AA :D

The first signs that something is wrong genearlly show up on the skin. Although it's possible that there is a parasitc, bacterial, or fungal infection, this is usually brought about by poor water. I would begin making frequent partial water changes and seeing if the condition improves.

Oscars are notoriuos polluters of their environment and require both room, and a low bioload to thrive.

HTH

That is a strange occurance and would initially lead you to think he had s fungal infection causing for the discoloration. Although, if your dont see any white fungus, like shards of cotton or a growth of some kind then the problem may be parasitic or bacterial.

First, if you are feeding live foods I would give that up. Attain some of New Life Spectrum's Thera A that is suited for your fish size, they have large and small fish size formulas - this food is non medicated but can help if there is an internal parasite problem.

Like Brain NY said lots of water changes, every other day if you can/ and add Seachem Stability to the water to cope with the bacterial drops. Id try Mela Fix or Pima Fix if things do not improve, and you could soak the spectrum in Garlic Guard. Sounds like a feeding and enviromental issue to me, so that is where I would start.

Back
Top Bottom