White spot, might be Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptnIgnit

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of my GBR's has a white spot (about 1/2 a cm diameter) above his left eye. Unfortunately I have a crappy camera phone, but hopefully you can make out some of the pictures.

photo092106001ry7.jpg

photo092106002jm5.jpg

photo092106003dg1.jpg

I haven't dealt with many diseases, but my only guess is Ich. What would you guys recommend? Also, I'll be seeing if I can get a better picture in the new few minutes after this post.

Ick looks like salt grains, and will be more than one. Looks like it's something else.. Maybe fungus? Describe what it looks like, is it fuzzy or like a salt crystal?

Definately doesn't look like a salt crystal, but it is too small to really tell if there is any little strands of fuzz on it.

It sticks out a little bit from his body as well.

Could be a parasite too. Hard to tell in the pic. Either that or maybe he injured himself, and it's either infected or has fungus. If you have it, I'd start with Pimafix and Melafix. They won't harm GBR's, and may help if it is an injury or fungus. But if a parasite, then may need to take other measures.

I'll probably stop by and pick up both and give it a shot. Are there any considerations to worry about when using them (aka, don't dose plant ferts or something along those lines?).

thanks!

Nope, Pimafix and Melafix are not true meds, just natural additives. Won't hurt anything in the tank, not even the biofilter. It's a good start, and will slow down any further problems, if not stop it in it's tracks.

Just a note, I saw the female flashing against the substrate just a second ago. The black phantom tetra's don't seem to be affected, but I would expect the GBR's to be the first affected anyways.

Do you think it is worth it to bump up the temp to ~86 degree's in the event it is ich? does a temp increase kill any other parasites?

Yes, you could be pro-active, and bump the temp up slowly if you think it might be ick. Also, GBR's are a warmer water fish and will handle the temps better than many other fish. Just have extra aeration.

did both Melafix and Pimafix tonight, temp is going up now, I picked up some aquarium salt in the event I want to use it. I'm a little worried about my plants if I were to use it though.

In watching their behavior again, the male is just sitting on the bottom with his fins clamped. The female is swiming around rubbing up against plants. Hopefully I'll have better news tomorrow.

I'm using 1tsp per 10G in my 75G planted and the salt is having no affect on the plants. But like you said, it's good to have just in case it's needed. It's one thing I always have sitting on the shelf, just like Pimafix and Melafix. And Maracyn and Maracyn Two.

A little update,

I checked on the fish this morning and the male was a lot more active, but the female was hugging the bottom.

When I got home from work both were fairly active, but still rubbing up against the plants (a improvement over where the male was at). I have since added salt to the aquarium and it is getting up to the 86 oh so slowly (on purpose, not lack of heating).

I did have a few questions related to CO2 and all this but I'll post that in the planted section. I'll update this thread as conditions change.

Quick question, the water is getting really cloudy during all of this. I did tests and it doesn't show any ammonia or nitrite's so I don't think it is a bacteria bloom(or alteast the bacteria that deal with those chemicals).

Is this a side affect of the pimafix/melafix/heat/salt/combination thereof? The fish look like they are improving and I don't want to cut the treatment short by changing the water out now. But I am worried the conditions may worsen if it keeps getting cloudier.

I can't remember which one, but one does cloud the water, it did mine. It's normal.

I did cut my CO2 off when I did my heat treatment, and then the treatment with meds, and that's why I'm now fighting BBA, lol. Just need to keep an eye on the tank pretty well at higher temps and running the CO2. Other than that, I think all will be ok. The GBR's actually like the warmer temps. I think their optimal temp range goes to 85 or 86 degrees on the upper side, and your temps are not that much higher.

Back
Top Bottom