White spot on betta-- not ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

audreydee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,

I have a 20L tank with 1 male betta, 1 snail, and 2 plants. I've had it for about 2 years, and this particular betta for around 1 year.

Yesterday I noticed a small spot on his head, and today it's gotten significantly bigger. It doesn't look like ich to me. Any ideas?? He is still active, friendly, hungry, and doesn't appear to have any swimming problems. No recent changes to his routine.

He does have a rock tunnel that he could have scratched his head on I suppose, but he has never had any problems before. The water quality could be better-- have done a quarter water change since posting but it doesn't seem like the full story.

Tank:
Temp: 78 degrees F
Ammonia: 0-0.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5.0

Any advice would be very much appreciated!! Very worried!

Attachments

• 20180322_193304.jpg
    20180322_193304.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 20180322_191012.jpg
    20180322_191012.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
No, not ich. Looks like missing scales. Could be scrapping his head on something. Watch him and see what's happening. Try to get your ammonia down a little more so he heals up faster. Don't worry to much. It happens. Just try to find out what he's doing to cause it.

I came across something that looks like your betta the other day. It could be a fungus starting. I'd keep the water and tank as clean as you can and it will go away.

Back
Top Bottom