Why are me fish dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinkpearl8130

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Why are my fish dying?

I have 10 neon tetras, 10 black neon tetras, 2 golden tetras, & 7 tiger barbs in a 29g tank. Every day I lose at least one fish. I had other neons that I removed because they were less colorful than some new neons I brought in. They looked that way even in the store. I'm assuming I have Neon Tetra disease running a muck in my tank. The black neons had ich straight from the store but I decided to treat them at home & they seemed ok. The tiger barbs look like they have bloated stomachs. None of the barbs died. Only losing tetras. Ammonia & nitrite test out fine. My test kit didn't come with one for nitrates so I don't have that reading. Ph is between 7.0 & 7.5. None of the tetras are really schooling well. Just kind of float around like they're resting for a bit then swim in a semi-school when another fish comes close. I have several live plants and use only flourish, rid-ich and a de-chlorinator in my tank. My filter is a marineland bio-wheel power filter penguin 200. Filters up to 200 gallons per hour & for use up to 50g tanks. But I remove the cartridge when treating for ich. Had my tank running for about 3 wks. The barbs are about that old and I got the tetras over a period of about two wks. They all have pretty good appetites. I really love my aquarium & inhabitants. I'm heartbroken everytime I remove a dead fish. I put so much time into upkeep & testing I hate for it all to be in vain (not to mention that fish are not cheap! -at least where I live). Any suggestions? Mahalo for your time!

Last edited:
You will want to pick up a nitrates test kit, that is an important test.
So the tank has been up three weeks? having ick on top of that is rough.

post your actual water readings please.

Did you treat the ich in the same tank? I don't think that's a good thing to do, you might need a QT tank for that.

What kind of test kits are you using? Liquid or strips? It is possible you are getting inaccurate readings. I suspect your tank is not cycled and the addition of meds to an uncycled tank may be causing some of the deaths.

When treating for ich, try raising the heat to 88 and leave it there for 2 weeks after the last spot of ich is gone. Either lower the water level or add an airstone while treating.

Back
Top Bottom