Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-07-2022, 12:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Unhappy Young Platy Suddenly Lost Weight

So I was just watching my fish tank as one does, and I noticed that a fry I've had for roughly 6 months (born in my tank) was suddenly really skinny, unlike her normal plump appearance.
I did some research, and I'm thinking it may be internal parasites, but some help or feedback would be nice.
---
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.). A young silver-and-black female platy, she suddenly lost basically all of her weight/size and her fecal waste looks abnormal.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values. I'm unsure, since my liquid test kit is outdated and the test strips I have are old and bad. Hoping to get a new liquid test kit soon.

3~How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? 10 gallons, about a year and a half.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known. Top Fin Small Silenstream PF-S, gph unknown.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? About 11 fish; 8 platies (not including affected fish) [3 adults, 5 fry], one small bristlenose pleco, one medium cory catfish, along with two mystery snails and possibly one small ghost shrimp.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time? Last water change was a couple weeks ago, haven't vacuumed in a bit. I don't do water changes too often due to other plans and an unfortunately huge lack of motivation, and vacuuming is a rare event.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? She's been around for roughly 6-7 months and was born in my tank.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? A couple new small plants, yes.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? Nutrafin flakes and discs, no recent diet change. They're also fed flakes every 3 days and discs every 2 days.
---
Pictures of the fish will be posted tomorrow/the day after this was posted due to phone limitations, my apologies.

Old 05-07-2022, 11:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Here are the pictures. Not very high quality, my bad.
If this helps at all, imagine the belly of a platy as a grape. Now squish the grape and cut it to half its size.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220507_084906.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	323394   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220507_084923.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	323395  

Tags
fading, fading coloration, fading colors, platy, platy fish, platy fry, possible worms, skinny, sudden, sudden weight loss, thin, weight loss, worms

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com