Algae help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ggoodwin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my tank set up for about 5 weeks now and all of a sudden I have brown algae is this good or do I need to scrub it off the tank

image-1233383072.jpg

image-339001111.jpg

image-4169682641.jpg

that's good that means that your tanks at the last stages of completion towards being cycled don't scrub it off it's natural, also what size tank and do you have a cleanup crew in there?

It's a 29 gallon and no I do not have a clean up crew where is the best place and what all do I need in the crew

That is diatom. It feeds off of silicates and as soon as it depleats the silicates in the tank it will die off on it's own. All new tanks go through it. As mentioned above, it usually happens as you aproach the end of your cycle. You wont need a lot for a CUC with that size tank. Maybe 10 snails and 10 hermit crab. You can get them at any local fish store (LFS) or you can order them from Reefcleaners.com. If you order them, buy for a tank half the size that you have. They send a ton. LOL

you don't need any clean up crew. just scrape it off the glass and suck it up with your next water change.

you could do either or i always like to get a couple snails and hermits to help feed on the diatom bloom.

Back
Top Bottom