algae ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedLeggedHermit

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey just started getting a big bloom of algae with the new lights. now i have this dark green algae growing on my sand. any ideas of what it is and how to get rid of it?

2012-09-14-153812.jpg

Do you have a clean up crew? They may help, also what are your parameters? Phosphates? When was your last water change? What size tank?

Does it have fuzz or hair? Like green hair algae maybe? Doesn't look like diatoms to me but I'm no expert.

yes ive got blue legged and red legged reef hermits. 2 of those tiny little white starfish i cant remember their name though. as well as snails and a lawnmower blenny. no this isn't hair. its like a dark green film covingering the sand bed.
parameters where last time i checked a few days ago (have since done a ten gallon water change. its a 29 gallon tank.
ph - is 7.0 (just bought some ph plus. going to raise it up to 8.2
ammonia - 0 ppm
nitrites - 0 ppm
nitrates - 10 ppm

a bacteria? is it bad. how do i get rid of it?

just went to my lfs and got my water tested there.
im still really new to this so i don't even know what half of this stuff is though. but the lady there said some were getting close but the tank was still within all the parameters. she wrote down all the results for me. they are:
MG - 1200
I - .05
KH - 11
CA - 400
PO4 - .05

Defiantly cyanobacteria. Google it there is lots of info out there on how to deal with it. It's mostly a nutrient issue that can only be correct with less feeding, and more water changes. Try moving your power heads to point in the direction of we're it is growing. Cyano dosent like high water flow.

As others have noted, it's cyanobacteria. Your nitrate and phosphate levels are pretty good, so my guess is that it is primarily a water flow issue. Cyano does not need much in the way of dissolved nutrients to gain a foothold. In fact, levels that are fairly undetectable to hobbyist grade test kits can support cyano. But, as Crystal A noted, it does not like high flow.
For quite a while, I had a rather obnoxious cyano problem, despite great water parameters. A new powerhead cleared it up almost completely, in about a week. I now have only a small amount, and only in the one low flow area of the tank. I pretty much ignore it.

Back
Top Bottom