algae on sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gti_Leo

Aquarium Advice Addict
IMG00167-20110726-1847.jpg

i have this green algae growing on my sand. i keep pickign it off but it keeps growing, and its only in that one section. all phosphates and nitrates are 0 as far as my test kits show.

usually i google but i can't seem to find this type of algae anywhere

nope, i don't plan on using one either. atleast not unless i have an ich problem which i'll make sure i won't have

Oh alright. I have done lots of research on them and they are great for eliminating algae, parasites, diseases, etc.; without elimination of the good bacteria. Just trying to help ;)

I'm willing to bet that there is no flow in that area. Try moving a powerhead so that it hits that spot at least a little.

Ya places with low to no flow can grow algae also you can buy a dragon goby. It's amazing how much they clean

i was goign to get a sand sifter but i need something as small as a orange spotted or soemthign small, i only have a 26g bowfront, so it is rather tall and it is hard to get the flow that i'd like.

as far as the sterilizer leavign alone all the good bacteria, that is not true at all, they kill whatever is flowing through them. the UV light burns any organism. it also depends on the flow rate thorough it, a faster rate won't kill much but a slow rate good enough ti kill parasites will kill everything

Last edited:
I had a problem with algae because of flow as well, I bought a circulation fan wave maker thing. It helped tons! Good to know about the UV sterilizer! Sorry about the suggestion :-/

no no its a good suggestion if there is a real big problem but constantly havign it running isn't always best

heathlyng said:
I had a problem with algae because of flow as well, I bought a circulation fan wave maker thing. It helped tons! Good to know about the UV sterilizer! Sorry about the suggestion :-/

What wavemaker did you buy?

Gti_Leo said:
i was goign to get a sand sifter but i need something as small as a orange spotted or soemthign small, i only have a 26g bowfront, so it is rather tall and it is hard to get the flow that i'd like.

as far as the sterilizer leavign alone all the good bacteria, that is not true at all, they kill whatever is flowing through them. the UV light burns any organism. it also depends on the flow rate thorough it, a faster rate won't kill much but a slow rate good enough ti kill parasites will kill everything

I have been using a uv sterilizer for almost six years now.The good bacteria is in your rock and sand mainly.My previous 46 gallon and my now 75 gallon with sump always had and have 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates.I have always had 2 lbs rock per gallon,which to me is the main thing.I have never had a fish die of ick or any other disease.Did lose one six line wrasse,he did a 1 and half gainer out of the tank.Also plenty of pods and etc.
My point is IMO ,it is worth running one.Also keeps your water clearer.

again i also said the flow rate through the light, it also comes down to the wattage of the UV light also. a high wattage with slow flow rate gives a higher chance to burn and kill the life. just like the UV light from the sun and how it can burn your skin and long term effects of it are skin cancer. if you have a fast flow rate and a low wattage then sure it can be fine but it may not do the job you want it to do. the fact that you have no algae or ich can be the result of good water and maintenance and a trusted LFS not totally a result on the UV sterilizer

What kinda water do you use? If it's from the tap then that's what's helping the hair algae grow cause of the phosphates in the water.

GTi Leo, you seem well informed and pretty knowledgable. I know it has been said already but I would seriously look at adjusting powerheads by a fraction to alter the flow over that area. In addition to this perhaps look at the amount of time your light is on - I'm sure you would have considered this already but they are the main things that I find help outside of routine maintenance.

i have considered it but i liek to look at my fish so i'me savign the lights as a last resort. i have to clean my power heads so hopefully once i get all the coralline off it it will help flow more so i don't have dead spots

you could have the phosphates being used up by the algae thats why your test reads 0 , it has to be coming from somewhere

yeah, i'm thinking its from my RO water but i tested that also and get nothing from it.

i should change my filters soon but i've only had the unit since april so the filters are still fine

cyano. Willing to bet that your nitrates and/ phosphates aren't 0. It's on your rocks also. Excess nutrients in the water. If it's a 'newer' tank then it's to be expected you'll go thru this phase. If it's established it points to less than optimal water conditions. Amount of food, type of food, quality and feeding intervals are a good place to start troubleshooting.

Flow will help, help move it to the next dead spot it finds in your tank that is

Back
Top Bottom