Black film?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mollesandra

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have live sand in the bottom of my tank with four damsels and two turbo snails, and lately a black film-type thing has been spreading on the sand. It covers a patch and when I try to remove it it takes a clump with it and breaks up in the water. Strands of it also extend upwards. It doesn't seem to be bothering the fish, but it just doesn't look like it can be good for them. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?
Thanks so much!

Sounds like cyanobacteria. Also known as red slime algae. It feeds of excess nutrients in your water and will also pop up where water flow in limited.

Well, there are several things you can do. Lighter feedings, shorter light cycle, more water flow as well as lowering your phosphates. What are your water parameters? What type of water do you use to mix your saltwater? Tap?

I suggest a higher water flow on it or purchase a Reverse Osmosis system 5 or 6 stage that fixed my problem also with the "RO" it eleminates all other types of alage and just allow coral to grow by taking out the checmicals found in your drinking water.

Check your source water for PO4 (phosphates).
Feed less at each feeding, no more than is consumed in a few minutes.
Higher flow and less light may fix the problem but not the cause which is excess nutrients in the water.

I have heard Chem-clean will quickly clear it up. Unless you listen to the things mentioned above it will return quickly as well. Get to the source and stop any future problems.

Back
Top Bottom