Brown blob with yellow tip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SueAndHerZoo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi.

I'm brand new to this forum and pretty new to saltwater aquariums so I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of time here - thanks for the great site!

Can anyone identify this growth on the back of my live rock?

Attachments

• PICT3120.jpg
    PICT3120.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 71
  • PICT3130.jpg
    PICT3130.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 64
Welcome aboard. Hard to tell from the pic. It almost looks like some type of sponge. Can you describe it since the pic is hard to tell.

I can't tell either from those pics. Where's Fluff when you need her?
Is it spongy to the touch?
How long has it been there and has it grown or changed at all?

welcometoaa.gif

From the pics, I'd have to agree it looks like a sponge. A clearer shot would help though. Can you describe the texture and if it has pores or openings of any kind?

Wow - I am so thrilled that so many of you already hopped on here to try and help - and so FAST, too! What a great forum!

Honestly I couldn't tell you what it feels like (yet). I've only had the tank and rock for about 3 weeks and didn't notice it at all for most of that time. Then the other day I reached in to just "rearrange the rock a little bit" and, well, you know how THAT goes. Before I knew it I was rearranging ALL the rock and starting the aquascape from scratch. When the cloud cleared and I was staring in the tank that night with magnifying glass and flashlight I noticed this thing - hadn't ever seen it before, probably because it was up against the rear wall of the tank. Now it's STILL not real easy to see or get to but I will reach down and touch it next time I'm putzing around in there. I don't know if this is good news or bad news but I just discovered what I think is another one at the other end of the rock. The yellow tip isn't as pronounced, not as yellow and not as protruded, but it looks like it's trying to grow one.

Thanks for responding so quickly - I'll try to get better pix somehow.

Sue

Wow - I am so thrilled that so many of you already hopped on here to try and help - and so FAST, too! What a great forum!

Honestly I couldn't tell you what it feels like (yet). I've only had the tank and rock for about 3 weeks and didn't notice it at all for most of that time. Then the other day I reached in to just "rearrange the rock a little bit" and, well, you know how THAT goes. Before I knew it I was rearranging ALL the rock and starting the aquascape from scratch. When the cloud cleared and I was staring in the tank that night with magnifying glass and flashlight I noticed this thing - hadn't ever seen it before, probably because it was up against the rear wall of the tank. Now it's STILL not real easy to see or get to but I will reach down and touch it next time I'm putzing around in there. I don't know if this is good news or bad news but I just discovered what I think is another one at the other end of the rock. The yellow tip isn't as pronounced, not as yellow and not as protruded, but it looks like it's trying to grow one.

Thanks for responding so quickly - I'll try to get better pix somehow.

Sue

Yup.... that's our AA Members... They get it done... Fast and right to the point... everyone here has a unique talent in different areas...

Welcome to the site this site kicks fish tail. LOL I know bad joke. looks like a sponge to me maybe spongebobs cousin??

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm like a sponge (pun intended) trying to read and soak up all info I can and I'm finding that the experience of others is the best and most reliable there is. Thanks for being here!
Sue

Back
Top Bottom