Can anyone ID this algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rickvn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all.

Does anyone know if this is good or bad? I have about 6 or 7 clumps appearing. It does not seem to grow very quickly but I am always dubious about anything that you get for nothing...it usually turns out to be unwanted.

thanks for any help in advance.
Rick

Attachments

• IMGP0192.jpg
    IMGP0192.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 72
Well.. bubble algae usually comes on plaque proportions fairly quickly.. so i'm thinking it's not bubble algae. How long have you seen these "clumps" for? How long has it been since another one has appeared? It could be bubble algae.. but it doesn't look like any bubble algae i've ever seen.

Thanks for the ideas. I don't think bubble...is does not pop when squeezed....it's just rubbery.Been around for about 6 to 8 weeks. Growing slowly ...it was too small to photograph until now.

It is a type of macro algae....not bubble. The specific name is Valonia utricularis. I stumbled across this link not long ago. I have several clusters of this stuff in my tank and always wondered what it is.Bacterial and Algae Hitch Hikers Scroll down under macro algae...you'll see the pic on the right.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't spread fast and is easy to remove with tweezers. I haven't done any reading on it to know if its good or bad.

Ha, I should have known since it looks so much like the typical bubble algae. Its a bit cooler looking to me though than the normal stuff. Guess I should start a task force and get rid of mine now.

Back
Top Bottom