Could someone ID the following items in my Reef Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gdeeber

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have this red hair algae type stuff and it is not cyno bacteria because I have had that before and I know what to do to get rid of it. Also the other two pictures are of some feather duster type thinks that just sprouted up out of nowhere. They look like a colony of feather dusters on my rock. Here are the links: http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr116/mchammer46/Aquarium/PinkAlgae.jpg
http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr116/mchammer46/Aquarium/unknowpompoms.jpg
http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr116/mchammer46/Aquarium/UnkownPomPom2.jpg

The last water testing was done on 3/21/2009 and the following results
SG - 1.025
Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0
PH - 8.2
Calcium - 380
Phosphate - 0
Carbonate - 7.5 dKH

Everything looks good but the pink/red hair algae is growing fast and nothing seems to eat it except my sail fin blenny but not that much.

1st: looks like red hair algae
2nd/3rd: maybe some type of polyps, or a ton of mini dusters. hard to tell
EDIT: lol reread ur post and you pretty much got it!

Are any of these things bad for my reef tank? The red algae is unsightly but can it hurt my corals?

i don't believe so, its such a relief to get rid of though! i havnt had experience with the red variety but turbo snails ate all of my green hair algae within hours of being in the tank.

Is the red algae spuratic across your aquarium or just a single rock? So far in dealing with the 'red fluff' algae there are no known sure shots in eradicating it, but if your tank is over 40g you can try a small Diadema sp. urchin and load up on a clean-up crew. You will probably have to brush off and siphon much of it.

The Pink/Red Algae is spread throughout the tank no spot too heavy and the colony of feather dusters is too dense. I am worried they are Hydoids. Very small and they are all on one rock. Just want to know if I should remove that rock and let them die off or let them grow and see what happens.

The Pink/Red Algae is spread throughout the tank no spot too heavy and the colony of feather dusters is too dense. I am worried they are Hydoids. Very small and they are all on one rock. Just want to know if I should remove that rock and let them die off or let them grow and see what happens.
Why kill off others unnecessarily? If it is hair aglae, try new tooth brush/any brush and try removing as much as you can. I am more curious about stuff growing below hair algae on 2nd and 3rd pics.

Semibfy:

I am trying to get rid of the white feather dusters because I think they are Hydroids. That is what you see in pic 2 & 3. They are too small for me to tell if they are a colony of feather dusters or hydroids. Right now they are confined to the one rock and it is not that big a peice and there is nothing else on that rock (Coral).

I really dont know what it is. It may be colony of sea squirts or turnicate. Although it can be Hydroids but I have not encounter hydroids in my many yrs in reefing. Very hard to tell what it is from the pic but if feather duster (or other tube worms), I rather keep them unless you can confirm they are Hydroids. You can make that decision better than me since you can find the image of Hydroids and make better comparison.

I personally left UFO until can verify. Who know, it may even be something beneficial to Reef.

Thanks for the advice semibfy. I tend to agree with you and will let them stay for now. I hope they are something good for the tank.

Back
Top Bottom