Got crabs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

midiman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know this probably isn't enough info, but I'm hoping it rings a bell. On my liverocks.com rock there were two crabs that I foolishly threw back into my tank, and I'm thinking about getting them out and putting them in the fuge before the arrival of my Xenia (or any other soft stuff).

The rock is aquacultured in the Gulf of Mexico and/or vicinity of the Florida Keys.

One of them is red (gee, that's a big help ...) Ok not enough info. :?

The other one is brown and VERY HAIRY with rather large claws. (I couldn't research this in the school where I teach because the "correctness censor" in the computer network objected to the search term "hairy crabs" )

Does anyone by chance know these guys? Possible leads? I'm searching for them online but don't seem to be getting anywhere at the moment.

That might be the red one, yes!!!!!!!! (I recognize that blue paper, too.)

I had him located the other day, but he seems to have moved. The hairy one is in plain sight in a see-thru hole - I'll probably have to "spear" him to get him out ( :cry: ), but I'm hoping the hairy guys are just ugly and not coral-nippers.

Do you know anything about these red guys? I wish I had fuged mine ....

The red one is probally a "stone crab" it will eat anything it can catch or get it's hand on.

The "hairy" one is another story. I had one for quite some time, never bothered anything, my pep's would acutally crawl across it and not be bothered. :roll: I moved it to my big tank and started having problems with unknow disapearances 8O , biggest thing was my sccoter blenny :x , then I put a urchin, a long splined purple one, in the tank and within 30 min it had attacked it, cut off most of it's splines and was trying to finish it off. Well I got it out with a piece of shrimp and a glass but the damage was already done. the urchin was dead the next morning. :evil:

I'd say get them out now before they can do much damage. Use a glass tilted up next to the rocks with a piece of shrimp in the bottom, won't take long :mrgreen: .

Well I got it out with a piece of shrimp and a glass but the damage was already done. the urchin was dead the next morning.

I'd say get them out now before they can do much damage. Use a glass tilted up next to the rocks with a piece of shrimp in the bottom, won't take long .

You did this at night, right?

Thanks for the tip. I'll be ready.

Back
Top Bottom