green algae (looking for recommendations)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loganizzi

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just finished cycling my tank a couple weeks ago. The setup is like this:

45gal
20 lbs live rock
1 pink damsel
1 blue damsel
1 yellow tail blue damsel
1 turbo snail
1 astraea snail
192w Coralife light (10,000k & Actinic)
(Actinic on 12hrs/day; 10K on 10hrs/day)
1 H.O.T magnum
1 Visi-Jet-PS skimmer

Last test (today):
pH - 8.4
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Ammonia - .5 ppm
Nitrate - 0 ppm

A couple weeks ago I had a outbreak of what I believed to be (redish-brownish) diatoms on my live rock and glass. At that point I purchased the snails to begin to clean house. The following day, I went on vacation for a week and came back to no diatoms but an outbreak of green algae mostly on the glass. The snails are helping a little but not much. I scraped the glass and most of the algae is now floating on top of the water. The reflection of the light through the film of algae on the surface is giving my aquarium a greenish tint. Is this green algae to be expected as part of the break-in process or do I need to alter part of my set up (reduce lighting, etc.)

Also, I am ready to start adding some more inhabitants and figure that I should probably get a fish that likes to eat algae. I am planning on also getting some simple corals in the future (3-6 months out) so I need all interim purchases to be coral friendly. I would also like to add a crab or shrimp to the mix (emerald crab perhaps). I should also add that my son desparately wants me to get a clown fish, so that will also be added to the list soon.

I am looking for suggestions on algae eating fish that would be good for a beginner and any general suggestions on additional fish that would work well with this mix.

Thanks for reading this far and for any advice.

-Chris

I would add at least another 4 or 5 Turbos and Astreas.
A yellow Tang will also eat algae as part of it's normal diet but I would try more Turbos (or other snails) first.
The algae shouldn't be floating on top. Is your skimmer skimming the surface or pulling from the middle of the tank? You may want a surface skimming attachment for it.
Algae covering the glass after a week is not at all unusual.

Back
Top Bottom