green bubble algae on leg of spider crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b3noodles

Aquarium Advice Activist
Help how do I get this algae off the leg of a spider crab I just acquired without hurting it or vice-versa will it hurt the tank if I just leave it alone.

Help how do I get this algae off the leg of a spider crab I just acquired without hurting it or vice-versa will it hurt the tank if I just leave it alone.

The crab will not be bothered by the algae and depending on the species of spider may have actually placed it there itself. The algae itself will not harm the tank really unless corals are in danger of getting smothered. If/once the sources that fuel the algaes growth (mainly PO4) are eliminated, the algae will die anyway.

I read in a previous post your PO4 was 5? Very, very high. It will either be from foods, the water source or both. When using granular media to remove the PO4, it needs to be changes out every 24-48 hrs until it gets below 0.5 ppm. Then you can either change weekly or longer depending on what brand of media you use and the PO4 levels at the time.

Cheers
Steve

Steve, I haven't got a po4 test. So I am unsure as to where you read this. Do I need to be testing for these? We are pretty sure that the spider crab we have did in fact put it there as there are other things stuck to him. I think they call him a decorator crab. Thanks for all your help guys!!! Sue :0)

b3noodles said:
Steve, I haven't got a po4 test. So I am unsure as to where you read this. Do I need to be testing for these?
My mistake, I confused you with this post. You should test for PO4 occassioanally but I wouldn't spend the money on a test kit personally. Considering the crab can find algae large enough to "decorate" itself with, I would suggest getting your LFS to test it. Unless you are having a problem with high PO4 levels and need to monitor it, I would just get the LFS to test it once in a blue moon.

Cheers
Steve

Actually when we got him he had it on his leg from the lfs. I just thought it was some kind of stone till I read another post in here about it. LOL the things you learn! I love this hobby!! Sue :0)

Back
Top Bottom