Hmmmm...some sort of anemone???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marc118

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Yea...rearranged some rock...found this.

Any ideas? Bad or good? I know there are different types of aiptasia. Its so close to coloring of the rock it was hard to get a decent pic.

idei0.jpg

Hmm, looks like some type of cup coral. Can you tell if it has a stoney base? If it closes up, it should be visible.

It did pull in, but I dont think it had a stony skeleton. It is possible though. I guess I could go fiddle with it and try to make it close.

It looks like a cup coral to me from that photo but photos can be deceiving. Something along the lines of Astrangia sp. Or maybe Balanophyllia sp. or Paracyathus sp. just to throw some ideas out there. Since you said you were moving things around, I'd probably put it back in a shaded area and just enjoy it. You may be able to see a skeleton (if it has one) by feeding it a bit of mysid or fishfood. I'm assuming this isn't new rock and this rock/critter has been around awhile? It's very pretty. :)

Yes, its a pretty old rock, I actually need to take it out and replace it sometime soon, but I may keep it just for looks if its not a threat. Its in a shaded but visible area now. It looks like a Paracyathus with brown dots on the tentacles.

Ziggy953 said:
Just wondering why you would want take the rock out and replace it sometime soon?
Me too.....Beautiful critter, BTW.

Good established/seasoned rocks are the building blocks of a great reef tank IMO. Unless there is something terribly wrong with the rock that threatens your entire tank and can't be dealt with by any means, I wouldn't replace it. ???
As for your critter, I wouldn't be overly concerned but would simply enjoy it. :)

Ive read...3 reef chemistry books by different marine biologists and they all recommend replacing LR every 3-5 years along with your sand. They say thier studies show decrease in readily soluble biominerals and alkalinity. As well as to add biodiversity to your tank.

These studies are becoming more apparent to me as my rocks are 4 years old and I am showing some very very odd reading with my test kits lately. Low pH, normal kH...

Using ro/di with reef crystals, everything is perfect when i test the salt mix after 24 hours. 8.2ph, ~420ppm ca, ~214ppm kh

So I have been doing 15% water changes weekly to try and buffer my low ph of 7.8 but no dice...within 24hours the ph is still at 7.8

I did however send and email to one of the biologist in hopes they could clear the water ( lol ) about my situation in relation to old live rock and sand. I hope they respond.

My LR is 9 yrs old and I dont have any plans to replace. I`d like to see any answer you get Marc.

I hope I get one. What do you think could be up with my pH?

Here is what I found on the web...It kinda hints at what you were talking about.
This link is a pretty informative article...I'm sure you have read it though...

http://saltaquarium.about.com/gi/dy...bts=1&zu=http://www.amdareef.com/ho_chem1.htm

The normal trend for pH in a tank is downward, or more acidic. The additions of acids into a tank will lower the pH in the tank water. These acids come from several sources, the primary ones being: (1) excess carbon dioxide (CO2) from respiration caused by lack of sufficient gas exchange, (2) nitric acid from biological filtration (nitrification), and (3) organic acids from metabolic wastes. Respiration and metabolic wastes are a natural part of the ocean. The reason that sea water pH does not change is that sea water contains a number of chemicals, such as bicarbonate, calcium, carbonate, borate and hydroxide, which act as natural "buffers" that retard the drop in pH.

When the pH in a tank starts to drop, it is an indication that the buffers are getting worn out. There are a few things that you can do to remedy this increase in acidity. You can use "quick fix" methods by adding bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)

The generally accepted "tried and true" method for stabilizing pH is still performing regular partial water changes in your tank. This not only refreshes the natural buffers, but also restores the trace minerals in your tank water. Of course, reducing the causes of the drop in pH is always wise. Removing all uneaten foods and fish detritus from the tank on a regular basis will go a long way toward retarding the pH drop.

The thing is, I do 15% weekly changes. Thats why I am leaning towards the LR losing its alkalinity.

I dunno...I hope I get a response.

100lb of new LR wont be cheap.

I think there is more to it then just the PWCs....the build up of ditritus within the rock structure, in sumps ect...I agree with replacing the sand...I did a lot of reading tanks crasing at the 3-5year mark and one common denominator was the sand...I don't know...I've just never read anything about replacing LR....and I know people who have had their tanks set up for many many years and they have the same rock. I'd love to read the email you get from the biologist!!!

they all recommend replacing LR every 3-5 years along with your sand
My lr is pushing the 20 year old mark. I have no issues with it. Not all the rock is that old as I have added some over time, but I never took any out and threw it away.

(Forgive the newbie for speaking up here)
I'm curious why adding buffer hasn't worked for him - I never studied chemestry (unless reading labels at the LFS is considered studying!) But it seems to me if the buffer doesn't raise the pH then there must be something very active (chemically speaking) and very odd going on in the tank all the time.

Could it be caused by his particular combination of livestock?
((Sorry if that is a really stupid question. I wasn't kidding when I said I'm not well educated.))

The tank I just got. It has been up for 4 years. Everything reads good except pH. I think I may have a faulty kit since kH is good ( even on the high side ) the tank should have the ability to buffer pH naturally no problem.

Marc118 said:
The tank I just got. It has been up for 4 years.

So I'm guessing the tank was set up and then you got it and set it back up. Is that right? If this is the case how much of the old SW did you keep if any?

Well by now ( its been a month or more ) 0% of the original SW should be there since I do weekly PWC. I also replaced 2" of sand. Im usig RO/DI w/IO salt until I run out and switch back to reef crystals.

Back
Top Bottom