Id question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
A couple of weeks ago I asked what the yellow thing that was growing on my lr. I have since rearranged my rock and got a better look. It is a clam, oyster, or muscle. the yellow is actually a ribbon around the edge of the opening, and it's alive :D . Now without a good picture does anyone have an idea what I'm dealing with? I'll try and get a picture and post it later.

Ok here goes, the item in question is right above the shrimp on the top of the rock, also see how much my sponge has grown on the right side of the picture.

clam_001.jpg

Looks like a calcerous rock boring sponge. It will recede if it stays in full light.

Cheers
Steve

...not the sponge thing...

I think justmy' was asking about the mollusk...not the sponge.

Anyway...that is what you have there...some type of mollusk (bivalve...clam...oyster). I would go with a type of oyster.

Live phytoplankton feedings. I doubt that it needs light, but I doubt that it minds having light either.

Looks like a calcerous rock boring sponge. It will recede if it stays in full light.

You talking about the yellow thing? If so I must disagree, It thrives in light.

Also the "mullosk" stays open in the light also.

justmy2cents said:

You talking about the yellow thing? If so I must disagree, It thrives in light.
Just to clarify, I was not speaking of the one to the right but the one directly above the shrimp.

Also the "mullosk" stays open in the light also.
Personally I can't see one but the light shouldn't make a difference although it will react to changes in light (opening/closing suddenly).

Cheers
Steve

Ok, if you look at the top of the rock the shrimp is on, at the yellow "patch" where the hole is, that's his opening. It is attached to the rock and the yellow thing is begining to look like the "ribbon" I saw on a picture of a clam here, only it was blue. I think it was Reef's but I'm not sure about that. I don't have a "good" camera so that's probally the best picture I can get.

Back
Top Bottom