Identification of critters in tank (harmful or not)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vipvenom

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,
I have just recently noticed some very small white organisms living on the glass of my tank . They are maybe 1mm at largest and they somtimes scurry along the glass wall. I believe they are copepods but I don't know since I don't know what marine copepods look like. I have included a picture that I took.
I just want to know if these will hurt my tank inhabitance. If so how do I get rid of them? I also have snails and hermit crabs.

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• copepods_904.jpg
    copepods_904.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 57
  • copepods_214.jpg
    copepods_214.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 76
Looks like a copepod to me as well. No need to get rid of them. They are good.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_2/cav2i1/Pods/pods.htm

You'll need to copy and past the link for some reason. :?

And, Welcome to Aquarium Advice. :D

If the inset (top left) is the same thing as the main photo, it looks like a mysid shrimp & completely harmless. Could be a species of Munnid isopod but also harmless.

Cheers
Steve

Well that is good to know that they are not harmful because there sure is a lot of them. Thanks for the link Fluff it was very helpful. One more question. What types of fish would benefit or would even want to eat these copepods? I have a clown fish that seems to possibly eat some of the ones that are swimming but I am not sure. Do some of the shrimps eat them?

Thanks,
Chris

Back
Top Bottom