Is this aptasia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Natchos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone!
I am fairly new to this board but I have read a lot. I just acquired 2 new sw tanks this weekend. They were already established and everything survived the move. Cross my fingers that it stays like that! I need your help identify two things please. Are these aptasias on the photos? And also I am wondering about the name of the small tree coral on the picture. Please and thank you!
Natacha

Attachments

• image-4209149438.jpg
    image-4209149438.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 291
  • image-430874747.jpg
    image-430874747.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 297
Definitely aiptasia... kenya tree I think.

1- Yes those are the cursed aiptasia and 2- I'm not sure about the coral I was just asking about those in my LFS today!

Thanks everyone! Much appreciated! I will probably start a journal of some sort and will post my journey with sw along with some pictures. Really pumped about this! I have tons of questions though :)

Aptasia x is the best stuff. No harm in the coral or fish. One of mine ate some of it and is still doing ok.

Wow! That aiptasia-x stuff works like a charm! Only problem is that I am only 5'4" and can't reach the bottom with my little syringe. I'll have to ask my husband, he is much taller!
Do you guys recommend lifting the rocks to get behind?
I am attaching some pictures of my 2 tanks. A 55gal and a nano cube 28gal. Both are infested with aiptasia. I have to get some cleaners in there but I was told o should quarantine everything new for 3 weeks. I suppose that is the best practice. Do you all do that?
Thanks!

Attachments

• image-3577304578.jpg
    image-3577304578.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 250
  • image-1590113644.jpg
    image-1590113644.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 218
quarantine isnt required. And if you do end up quarantine the new things i think just one week would be good

I agree with the fish man. I generally would not move the rock because it will cloud the water with debris. Kill the aiptasia that are large. Invest in a few peppermint shrimp. They will eat aiptasia as long as its small.

While I'm new here, I can only tell you what works for me so far, which doesn't mean it can't change. This is my first time with SW as well, so after some reading, I decided to buy the biggest tank I could find. I ended up with 125 gallon tank, bought some nice live rock teaming with life and purple, toss some corals in there a couple of weeks later and fish by the 3rd week.

I decided to buy a QT after the tang got ich. But by the time the QT was established it was a bit too late for that tang.

That tang was with a couple of clown fish in the QT under the copper treatment and I can say all three got quite tense in the QT. After the tang died, I waited a day or so and observed the clown were still stressed, not to mention the ammonia levels were always high, with required almost daily massive water changes. I had to pull the 2 clowns out of the QT and put them back in the main tank. One clown survived the move and one died shortly. He has gasping for air even before the move.

While the fish were in the QT, I set up a UV sterilizer in the main tank, running at a very low flow rate to take care of the ich. After placing the fish back in the main tank, I added a second, much more powerful UV sterilizer as well to the main tank.

I'm running my QT empty for now and monitoring it's levels, and so far the ammonia is under control and NO2 & NO3 are getting lower but not quite there yet. So I've decided any new fish will go in the QT once it's ready, which I'll also add a small UV sterilizer to it that will run only when there is fish in it. Everything for now is in the main tank including some new hardy fish I've added that didn't go through quarantine. I am depending on the UV for now.

In conclusion, I would say if you have any fish in the main tank, transferring them to QT could stress them out even more so. All new purchases are recommended to go through QT for a week or 2 depending on their behavior. I would add a UV light at least in the QT. Like I said, I'm new to this and what I did, may not be the best recommendation. But I've found these fish can stress out very easily and need to feel secure in a comfortable environment with no disruption. If adding a UV light is what it takes at the cost of beneficial bacteria, then so be it.

The LFS in my town all run UV lights on/off for 2 week periods. That's my intention at this point.

Sorry for the long post. Hope my mistakes would benefit you.

cheers

Wael

a UV sterilizer will not effect beneficial bacteria. it's not effective on ich though, because you can't guarantee all of the ich to fall off of the fish at exactly the same time and all go through the sterilizer.

as for quarantining new arrivals, i think the recommended QT is more than a week. the ich lifespan is 10-14 days alone.

Thanks for all your help! I am getting there. Slowly but surely. Do you guys QT your cleanup crew when you purchase them?

Cleanup crew should not need to be quarantined, just make sure not to add the water they come in to your tank. You could swish them around a bit in a cup of your tank water as a little precaution, probably wouldn't do much though haha.

Back
Top Bottom