Mystery Crab....Brown and Hairy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allxj96

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, i just started a nano reef tank (29gal biocube) now, i just noticed a mysterious dark brown colored crab with white bands around the legs and white pointy "feet", he's also covered in hair, from what i could see of his pinceres, theyre white pointy and serated....:eek: neone have an idea.....????
or should i just :uzi:

thanks.....

img_854673_0_9123f01916a5c67a2159747f8ae67e37.jpg

Last edited:
Take it out and get a clear picture to post, then ban it to the sump or fuge if you have one. If not, see if the lfs wants it.

So, how do i get this crab out of the tank... i think there may be a smaller one too....
Also, what troubles could this crab possibly cause, cuz i havent noticed any sort of havock yet,

Hairy crabs will attack your other inhabitants...snails, crabs, shrimp, fish...etc.

I lost a starfish, neon goby, firefish goby and a fire shrimp due to hairy crabs.

To me he sort of looks like a Decorator Crab. I have one in my Nano and he just sticks random things to him. (HE'S SUPER UGLY) But he helps with cleanup so I like him.

Put glass up against a rock and tilt it. Bait it with some food. The crab can then get into the glass but not out again. It might take a while, but it works.

he's deffinately ugly, but is there anything in particular i should bait the glass with....????:confused:

thanks

Bait with a small piece of raw shrimp or fish. Whatever doesn't float I'd guess.

I'm guessing you chould replace it dailyt too to ensure it doesn't decay.

Back
Top Bottom