New to Forum and need help! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeamTyEmily

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All,

Me and my boyfriend have bought a fish marine aquarium a couple of months ago. Everything was allready set up with fish, live rock and corals.

We are needing help with identifing a few things that are going in the tank.

We seem have like cobweb matter growing on the rocks. (Pictures to follow).

We have plenty of snails and crabs in the tank.

Just wondering if somebody would be able to help us?

Thank you

Emily:)

Hi! We can definitly do that for you. Once the pics are added i'll do my best. We are all here to hell so ask away!

image-943227536.jpg

This is situated at the bottom of the tank.

Hope this works haha. As I don't really know what I'm inputting as of yet, so please bare with me :)

The one beneath the corals are like little balls all clumped together and abit furry like (that's the second pic I uploaded)
The first picture is kind of the same but there's like a cobweb grown around this.
Do u think its bad?
Thanks
Emily

TeamTyEmily said:
The one beneath the corals are like little balls all clumped together and abit furry like (that's the second pic I uploaded)
The first picture is kind of the same but there's like a cobweb grown around this.
Do u think its bad?
Thanks
Emily

Thats weird ive never seen the circles before! My first guess is sponge. We need more input on that id.

The web usually isnt bad IME. Usually the webs are made by feather duster worms and tube worms. Ive got some

That last one, the white balls look like pineapple sponge to me, good things- they filter feed.

The second picture the brown round ones at bottom left of pic look like palys to me. The one near top of that same pic looks like maybe an open brain coral of some sort?? sorry- not sure of actual name.

Beengirl said:
That last one, the white balls look like pineapple sponge to me, good things- they filter feed.

The second picture the brown round ones at bottom left of pic look like palys to me. The one near top of that same pic looks like maybe an open brain coral of some sort?? sorry- not sure of actual name.

Thanks for your help. I'm glad that they are ok and help the filter as we have a few dotted around the tank. :)

begginersluck said:
Yeah they all look ok to me too. Sponges i would say too!

Welcome to the forum by the way! A full shot of your tank would be great

image-421546718.jpg

This is the full tank view. We have recently moved rocks around and corals to find the perfect place for them to live. The rock which is on the sand in the middle at the bottom isn't staying there just haven't found it a home yet. :)

Attachments

• image-1388185380.jpg
    image-1388185380.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 74
Looks like a great tank to get started with!

Be very careful when moving your rocks though as it can stir up you substrate and debris and potentailly cause your nitrate to increase. Have some fresh saltwater at hand to do a water change when you next move your rocks.

Pretty nice tank though!

You running a sump on that?

How big is that tank? Looks great, but moving forward, those Tangs could have problems. Ideally both should be in 120g or larger.

eh even though my tank isn't one to speak for i agree with Todd! Tangs especially regal's need a good swimming space.

I'm currently looking into my new tank build but running into all sort of difficulties!

Yeah we will eventually get a bigger tank. The tangs love this one though at the moment. The blue whizzes round everywhere! Haha.

I don't if u can help but we have loads of little tiny see-through animals. Are these bad? I think they are but not too sure :-/

Thanks

The thing with Tangs (especially those two) is that the "wizzing around" that they love needs to happen in a much larger tank. 6' long is what many suggest. They want to go straight in spurts, but can't do that with a short area, so they are forced to basically swim circles. its like taking a formula one race car and making it drive in a tight circle. it can, but it wasnt created to do that, so it is not in optimal conditions (sorry, maybe not a great analogy, but am tired of the "putting a large animal in a small cage analogies). Small space can also stunt growth, which causes stress and other problems.

TheTodd said:
The thing with Tangs (especially those two) is that the "wizzing around" that they love needs to happen in a much larger tank. 6' long is what many suggest. They want to go straight in spurts, but can't do that with a short area, so they are forced to basically swim circles. its like taking a formula one race car and making it drive in a tight circle. it can, but it wasnt created to do that, so it is not in optimal conditions (sorry, maybe not a great analogy, but am tired of the "putting a large animal in a small cage analogies). Small space can also stunt growth, which causes stress and other problems.

Thanks for the advice I understand what you are saying and will look into getting a bigger tank.

begginersluck said:
Tangs can be difficult! I am considering re-homing some of mine!

Yeah i think it may be the case that we have to re-home too as we don't have the space for a bigger tank really but we shall see :)

Back
Top Bottom