Newbie ID help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Schgred

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was given some live rock from someone and in wondering about some things that are on it. I'm curing the live rock now because it sat in unheated salt water for a week and started to smell really bad. The person did not take care of his tank over the years and so in curious what I need to remove before I put it in my tank.

1. What is the bright red stuff?
2. I'm assuming the purple is some coraline algae?
3. How about the white?
4. The third picture you can see worm like things sticking out of the rock. There are a few of these things on the rock. Any ideas?
5. I'm assuming the green bubble things are bubble algae right? Probably should remove all of that?

Sorry about the questions. I want to make sure I clean the bad stuff off and keep the good stuff. Thanks!

Attachments

• image-1881586388.jpg
    image-1881586388.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 126
  • image-1874173088.jpg
    image-1874173088.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 122
  • image-3423722511.jpg
    image-3423722511.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 141
I would add that the bright red stuff really glows bright under the blue lighting on the reef capable led light.

Yes that is green bubble algae. Get it out and try to do so without popping it. If you pop it in the tank it will just spread.

Should I scrub the area where the bubble algae was after I remove it?

Any ideas on the other things in the pictures?

What about the other things? The green algae, I'm assuming?

Here are two more pictures. Obviously the red stuff is prevalent. What is it?

Also if you look at the second picture there seems to be a worm of sound kind sticking out of the rock. Any ideas?

Attachments

• image-1650780025.jpg
    image-1650780025.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 119
  • image-4044121229.jpg
    image-4044121229.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 113
Not sure what the red is. I've seen coralline algae turn bright colors before though. Don't see any worms but I do see something that looks like it could be a sponge in the second pic. White and tubelike.

There are a couple bubble algae in there that I see, but I can lay my finger on what the red stuff is. I believe I have seen it before, just not sure what it is.

Not sure about the white sponge like thing you are talking about. I'm wondering if the red things are actually mushrooms.

If they are mushrooms, will curing kill them? How much algae will be killed by curing?

It doesn't really look like mushrooms. It looks like some sort of encrusting growth. The red stuff isn't really something I would worry about. It doesn't fit any of the typical malignant groups that we worry about.

I've never had any big problem with the bubble algae myself. I think they look pretty cool personally. They can be carefully removed. You just want to make sure that they don't pop when you do it. If they pop it can spread spores.

It is hard IDing some of these things by photo. In person they might be blatantly obvious, but pics often lack the details needed.

Back
Top Bottom