Ok...Lot's of Brown still in Tank. Confused now from LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasdivegal

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone.

I am attaching these pictures, is this cyno or diatoms? What's the green algae?

Also...how come my readings at home don't match the reading my LFS tells me they are.

1 month old tank, 80lb of lr, 2 snails, 2 hermits

My readings...Nh4=0, NO3 = 0 N02 = 0

Please help!! I hate this brown stuff, it's ugly! :tongue:

If this is a new tank what you are seeing is somewhat normal. Cyano is primarily caused by PO4 and brown algae (diatoms) are from silicates. Both are part and parcel of a new tank. Providing you are using a pure water source such as RO, the problem will subside on it's own with continual water changes. The algae will crash soon enough once the nutrient that fuels them are used up.

What are the NO3 readings?

Also FYI, NH4+ is not something you need to concern yourself with a SW tank, only NH3.

Cheers
Steve

I had this same problem, with the same algae after my tank cycled. It was about as long as you've had your tank. Steve told me what he told you, and lo and behold one morning it was gone. You can use a scraper to help it along it's way. It will go away though. You'll learn that whatever steve says, you can bet he's right. :wink:

Have a good one!

I feel your Pain. Once I started using RO water in my water changes this stuff went away very quickly. I had also added 4 large turbo snails and 6 (small) hermits to my 75 Gal. tank. They LOVE Diatoms. I am not an expert but it worked for me. Good luck! :D

Back
Top Bottom