Please help Identify this fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mermaidundersea

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,
I m new to the site and a beginner saltwater aquarium hobbyist. I got this fish from a fish store where the salesperson doesn’t even know the kind of the fish he was selling me, I got it anyways because its just so darn cute!!

can anybody id this fish specie for me ? thanks!!
(its probably something really common)

img_1124530_0_3044c484a59384bb5ab10ece04f1fc92.jpg

And it NEEDS a sand substrate! Please take it back to the store.

Scooter Blenny (Synchiropus ocellatus)

"A 30 gallon or larger reef aquarium that has live sand substrate, docile inhabitants, and lots of live rock makes the ideal aquarium for the Scooter Blenny...
The Scooter Blenny may be a difficult fish to keep due to its feeding habits. The Scooter Blenny will sift through the sand for food. Finely cut meaty foods and vitamin-enriched brine shrimp may be acceptable substitutes"

Thanks for the replies!! how exciting :)

Only thing is my guy looks a little different from the picture tho. instead of 3 dots on the dorsal fin, he only has one dot. prephaps its a different kind of scooter blenny? or maybe there is a difference between female or male?

I will go get the live sand ASAP!!

There are several very similar species of Synchiropus that are sold under the name "scooter blenny" - e.g., S. ocellatus, S. stellatus, S. morrisoni. As far as I know, they are all very similar to keep.

Tony

You don't need live sand, just sugar sized grains. You will need to remove the existing substrate, but don't change more than a third at time and allow a week between each change. That will prevent the biological filter from being removed all at once.

You don't need live sand, just sugar sized grains. You will need to remove the existing substrate, but don't change more than a third at time and allow a week between each change. That will prevent the biological filter from being removed all at once.

+1, I hear aragonite's one of the best.

"A 30 gallon or larger reef aquarium that has live sand substrate, docile inhabitants, and lots of live rock makes the ideal aquarium for the Scooter Blenny...
The Scooter Blenny may be a difficult fish to keep due to its feeding habits. The Scooter Blenny will sift through the sand for food. Finely cut meaty foods and vitamin-enriched brine shrimp may be acceptable substitutes"

Is he eating frozen or prepared foods? If not he will quickly eat all of the pods in your tank and eventually starve. The tank needs to be established for at least a year for them to be able to live on pods alone. You should start training him onto frozen asap if not.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f28/mandarins-123776.html#post1073368
Food Presentation
Pod Eaters - or - Mama Don't Feed Me No Balogna

Back
Top Bottom