Snail ID unfortunately no picture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckycat

Aquarium Advice Freak
Over the past year I've had several snail and crab deaths (emerald), all unexplained. I recently downgraded from a 90g to 12g nano, transporting the snails that were still alive.

I just added four new astreas, and almost immediately one of my very long-lasting snails - from about 3 yrs ago when I first started my fowlr tank (I think it came with some lr)- came out of nowhere and attached itself to the opening of the new snail. I had to really pull on it to separate them. When I put it back in the tank, it went to another one of the new astreas on the front of the glass.

I've seen snails that do a piggy back ride on other snails, but this was different - in both cases it's goal was seemingly to dig into the other snail.

My camera isn't working - but it looks a lot like a nassarius snail, with a long tube protruding from it's head. However, I don't think it ever burrows in the sand as I think nassarius snails are supposed to do. Also, the shell is a bit more "conus" than most of the nassarius pictures I've seen, maybe more like a cerith - but I have some of those and this is not a cerith. The edge of the snail, where the fleshy part is, is not smooth - it has slight ridges.

I've removed this snail, put him in a cup, until I he either dies or I can safely ID him. I've been searching the web for "bad snails" pictures but haven't found a good match. I'll try to get a picture and post, but for now was hoping to find out if it is possible that I have a "killer snail", and any pictures of bad snails that someone could point me to.

Update - I just found this site: http://melevsreef.com/id/whats_a_whelk.html. I am not positive but it does look like a whelk...the "snout" has a white-yellowish ring on the tip, but I don't see a specific pattern "tattoed" on it like it describes. I'll search the web for more whelk pictures for comparison. Also, this snail DOES have a "protective cover" on it's tail, so I'm thinking moe and more that this is a whelk, and maybe it was actually trying to eat my newly introduced snails.

Fluff said:
The behavior sounds like a welk but there are many other carnivorous snails that are possibilities. Here is a link that may help as well as a pic of a welk that came with my liverock, attacking an astrea. If you've seen this snail attack, it really has no place in your tank.

http://projects.edtech.sandi.net/dailard/snailtrail/casebook.html

Thanks! It actually looks a lot like the picture, with the yellow tip on the snout.The shell certainly has ridges, but it is not white as explained in the link- just covered in corraline algae or perhaps it is not, and it is mostly dark-medium red. I'll examine more.

Back
Top Bottom