What is this? Looks like an anenome not sure though

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hitsnorth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It acts like an anenome with a mouth in the middle and it grabs food I feed it.

Edited links: 4:04 PST steve-s

That looks like the same pic I looked at earlier, Maybe I didn't get a link to the first anemone, that one looks like a condy as well.

Condys have a very potent sting and if it were to go on the move, or it is within reach of other corals and inverts i the tank, it coul cause problems.

OK, agreed the secod posting is a Condy, however the first anemone....my money is on majano, if it is a majano, it is a pest, think aiptasia on steroids ;)

reefrunner69 said:
my money is on majano, if it is a majano, it is a pest, think aiptasia on steroids ;)

How much money we talkin here??.. LOL

My bets on the BTA Entacmaea quadricolor.. :p

Cheers
Steve

I always have the hardest time telling the difference between a Majano and a BTA. Does it seem to be popping up all over - spontaneously reproducing? Then I'd guess Majano. Majanos, IMO, though, tend to resemble zoanthids a little more than the pics in the first post. The one shown does display very BTA-like tentacle ends.

How big is it? And, do you know what type of LR it is?

Hes been there for about 9 months now. Its the only one. I have Fiji live rock which is 3 years old in the tank. He just popped up one day. And got bigger and bigger. Hes about 2 inches now.

Well, based on that, I'd have to agree with BTA Just keep an eye out that you don't get a bunch of them popping up all over - that would indicate Majano. Very cool hitchhiker!!!

Oh dont worry I am gong to keep my eye out for any additional ones. Im wondering how I got the BTA in my tank? I havent added live rock in forever. Im not that worried because he hasnt spread and has been there for many many months. If I start seeing other ones show up I will worry about it. Otherwise I will just let it grow. I suppose a good test will be if my clown decided to make a home on him that will decide it(he knows better then any of us what kind of anemone it is!)

Thanks again for your help!

Back
Top Bottom