Whats on my live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shirtlessbill

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

I've got this nice piece of live rock that has some Recordia multiplying. However there is a lot of other stuff growing on it as we'll. can anyone tell me what the green "stalks" are? Or anything else on there for that matter.

Attachments

• image-3971341437.jpg
    image-3971341437.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 249
  • image-241844737.jpg
    image-241844737.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 248
  • image-167219828.jpg
    image-167219828.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 246
Wow, looking forward to seeing what they are!

Sorry I'm no use to you

You can pick them off the rock if u like but they wont cause any probs if you leave them be. Looks like you may have a sneaky aiptasia poking out from under your rock also!

You can pick them off the rock if u like but they wont cause any probs if you leave them be. Looks like you may have a sneaky aiptasia poking out from under your rock also!

Aiptasia is a type of anemone right? Should I be worried about it in regards to the Recordia? I'm fine with organisms that come for the ride on a rock unless they are going to directly interfere with what I've out in my tank

Aiptasia can spread rapidly and sting the ricordia or other corals so it's usually recommended you take em out.

Neat algae btw. I used to have something similar, don't remember the name. What I do remember is when you damaged it and took it out of the tank one whiff and I was fighting hard to not throw up. The scent wasn't strong but for some reason it got me heaving quick.

Aiptasia can spread rapidly and sting the ricordia or other corals so it's usually recommended you take em out.

Neat algae btw. I used to have something similar, don't remember the name. What I do remember is when you damaged it and took it out of the tank one whiff and I was fighting hard to not throw up. The scent wasn't strong but for some reason it got me heaving quick.

Amy advice on how to take it out?

Just pluck the algae off.. they will grow quickly and ugly >.< nothing likes to eat them. and it smells like bum.

Get some peppermint shrimp for the aiptasia. Do not try to cut it or pluck it out!!! You'll go from 1 to 100 over night if you do that. And they will sting corals and fish. You can also inject it with concentrated lemon juice.

Get some peppermint shrimp for the aiptasia. Do not try to cut it or pluck it out!!! You'll go from 1 to 100 over night if you do that. And they will sting corals and fish. You can also inject it with concentrated lemon juice.

Or get aptasia X or pull the rock and burn each one until nothing's left, that works as well

The downside to peppermint shrimp is that there is no guarantee they will eat it at all, and even if they do, they won't eat every last cell. They'll basically keep you from having any whole, intact anemones. But as soon as the shrimp are gone, anything they didn't get will come back with a veangeance.

I had 3 peppermint shrimp that cleared my whole 90 gallon tank in a matter of a couple days. I now have 0 peppermint a and have added cleaner shrimp instead. No aiptasias have come back after 3 months.

Alright thanks guys, I have one in the tank now. He's been hiding for a few days now but we'll see how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom