White filter feeder things?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Feron

Aquarium Advice Freak
New item has popped up (er...prolly over a good time period heh).
After cleaning some coraline off, I noticed a large patch of these things, with several more underneath the rock 'overhang' it's attached to.

It's a fairly low flow area regardless of how I adjust the flow of the tank due to the shape of the rock.

1. what is it?
2. Can it tolerate high-ish flows?

Attachments

• tubethings_208.jpg
    tubethings_208.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 46
heh thanks, been on somewhat of a forum hiatus since switching jobs... the corporate overlords don't mind paying a goodfee, but frown upon any personal activity at work :/

I figured (or was hoping rather) it was some sort of sponge..
There are a few smaller attachments under the rock of the same coloration and an additional red, green and yellowish blob of a similar nature to the thing in the picture, altho much smaller.

I'm constantly amazed at how much life 'bounces back' in a 'reef' setting... live rock is truely a treasure I still constantly enjoy pouring over.

(and now that I have 7 tanks, it certainly shows on my water bill)

Are they hard or soft? If they are hard I think they may be glass sponges. You can't really tell it in the picture I attached but glass sponges usually look like they are a woven mesh of fibers, thats what makes me think those are glass sponges.

Attachments

• glass_sponge_182.jpg
    glass_sponge_182.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 22
heh I even have 2 freshwater tanks now.. I must be going slightly insane... to think, been just about a year since I started this hobby.. I should take all you alums out for pizza and beer one day just to say thanks for getting me prepared, started & on the right track..so much knowledge from so many good people.

perhaps they are sea squirts?
Found some very similar pictures earlier today..might have to move the rock up a bit to get a better pic

It's possible they are tunicates but a better picture would be needed. You have a better view of them than we do. In my experience, squirts/tunicates would be separate individuals with two openings, normally one small one larger. They can live in colonies giving them the appearance of sponges but you should be able to see when looking closely that they are separate animals. (this is the vantage point we doing have ;) ) Sponges can be a single critter with one or many openings.

Back
Top Bottom