white stuff after kalkwasser added !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fnscasey

Aquarium Advice Regular
Y sometime when i drip Calcium Hydroxide solution (Kalkwasser) to my tank, white stuff forming at the surface of my tank ? ( CO2 not enough ? kalkwasser get wasted ? )

What should i do instead if such things happen again ?

Y sometime when i drip Calcium Hydroxide solution (Kalkwasser) to my tank, white stuff forming at the surface of my tank ?

Sounds like your adding it too quickly (or too quickly after mixing) and some calcium carbonate is precipitating out of solution.

Are you letting the Kalk settle first in the container before dripping? I mix my stuff 24 hours before I drip it.

Yep, you should let it sit after mixing. I use 5 1-gal milk jugs and I mix up each jug the day before I start using them. I drop 1 jug in the morning and 1 jug in the evening.

What kind of surface movement do you have in your main tank? If you disconue adding kalk does this surface film stop appearing?

Is that the only thing you have disturbing the surface water?

IE you dont have any powerheads positioned to ripple the surface? Or any sort of surface skimmer?

No.
I don't have any powerheads positioned to ripple the surface or surface skimmer !

Just only a simple FOWLR.

fnscasey said:
I thought kalkwasser helps to increase the coralline algae on LR ?
As long as it helps maintain the chem, it will. Dosing kalk need not be a daily affair. It depends on the CaCO3 consumption. The coralline on the LR utilizes the CaCO3 the same as any coral. Just be mindful that you test to be sure you do not excede the demand.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom