Wich sweetlips is this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ivan_dalmatia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey people's, I saw this on liveaquaria under grunts & sweetlips??? He don't pop up when I click on the pic?? Does anyone know the species?

Hey people's, I saw this on liveaquaria under grunts & sweetlips??? He don't pop up when I click on the pic?? Does anyone know the species?

This is the best picture I could get

Attachments

• image-2409797056.jpg
    image-2409797056.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 84
Thanks a lot bro!!! To bad they aren't reef safe, according to liveaquaria! I still want one

As the others have pointed out, a jack-knife fish (Equetus lanceolatus). Despite its appearance, it's a member of the croaker family (Sciaenidae) rather than the grunt/sweetlip family (Haemulidae). There are several similar, small, brightly coloured croakers in the western Atlantic and eastern Pacific in Equetus and Pareques.

Tony

Ivanthegood: I'm not that familiar with keeping Equetus or Pareques species, but I'm sure some of the other forum members can weigh in on this. I'm not sure what you meant by "it's not in the croaker family". I'm not aware of any research that puts Equetus in any family other than the Sciaenidae (croaker family) - though that is not to say that you may have stumbled on misinformation on the classification of this fish on the web.

Tony

And just read up on it, it's not in the croaker family it Equetus lanceolatus

I'd strongly suggest you stop reading whatever site told you that Jacknives are not croakers. They are in the drum/croaker family along with their cousins the Highhat and Spotted Drum here in Florida and other species further up the shore.
As for reef safe, they are usually found in schools along the grassbeds digging for shrimps, crabs and other crusties as well as opened clams, oysters and scallops.
I have also found that they tend not to do well as solitary fish so if you do get one, get more than one;)

Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom