Camera Choices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
then come on over to shutterbugs photo forum and show us lots of pics :!:

p.s. just click on the blue line in my sig and congrats on that camera :mrgreen:

:D Tank's :D
All I have to do is get through all the instructions.
Things that cost this much should not need instructions!!!!!

Way too many buttons and dials, even a tiny thumb joystick on the back 8O .

Also I have to get a really nasty algae growth off my glass, won't come off with the magnet, I've been trying with a old razor scraper and even it is having trouble removing the stuff.
UGH, I must have MAG: :evil: Mutant Algae Growth :evil: syndrome.

Went over and registered on the ShutterBugs site, looks interesting!

Kodak CX6200

Mines the Kodak easy share2.0mp:
Color:24bit mil
Color Mode: color,blk&wht,septia
comm with comp usb cable,eashshare sock6000 printer dock
W 4.1in,
D 1.6"
H 2.6"
Still and video
Flash: auto fill red eye off
range: 1.6-7.9ft
charging time: less than 7sec with charged battery
ISO speed: 100-200 140 flash mode

I am looking to up grade and glad this thread is here it will help me pick a new camera with the features i like. I don't care for this one, but i would recommend it to a new beginner.

img_443132_0_45a18a58ede155b6ecb8e1d2ddb1c0a8.jpg

Just got a new Nikon(Go Nikon fans!!!)

I got the Nikon CoolPix 7600

Effective Pixels: 7.1 million

Image Sensor: 1/1.8-inch type (7.41 million total pixels)

Image Size: High (3072*), Normal (3072), Normal (2592), Normal (2048), PC (1024), TV (640)

Lens: 3x optical Zoom-Nikkor ED; 7.8-23.4mm (35mm [135] format equivalent to 38-114mm); f/2.8-4.9; 7 elements in 6 groups

LCD Monitor: 1.8-inch type, 85,000-dot Amorphous silicon TFT LCD monitor with brightness adjustment; frame coverage: approx. 100%

Media: Internal memory: approx. 14MB, SD memory card

Shooting Modes -- Still: Auto, Scene Assist (Portrait, Landscape, Sports, Night portrait), Scene (Party/Indoor, Beach/Snow, Sunset, Dusk/Dawn, Night landscape, Close up, Museum, Fireworks show, Copy, Back light, Panorama assist, Voice recording), BSS (Best Shot Selector), Blur Warning, Date imprint, Date counter, Self-timer (10 sec.)

Shooting Modes -- Movie: TV movie (640) at 30fps, TV movie (640) at 15fps, Small size (320) at 30fps, Small size (320) at 15fps, Smaller size (160) at 15fps, Electronic VR (Vibration Reduction) available

Capture Modes: 1) Single, 2) Continuous (1.3fps; up to 14 frames), 3) Multi-shot 16 (16 consecutive frames at 1.6fps)

Number of Frames: (w/Internal memory): High (3072*) approx. 4, Normal (3072) approx. 7

Built-in Speedlight: Range: 0.4-3.4m / 1.3-11.2 ft. (W), 0.4-2.0m / 1.3-6.6 ft. (T); Flash modes: Auto, Auto with Red-eye Reduction (In-Camera Red-Eye Fix), Anytime Flash, Flash Cancel and Slow sync

Interface: USB

Power Requirements: Two LR6 (AA-size alkaline) batteries (supplied), two EN-MH1 Rechargeable batteries, two ZR6 (AA-size nickel manganese) batteries, two FR6 (AA-size lithium) batteries

Battery Life: 100 images (two AA-size alkaline batteries), 250 images (two EN-MH1 Rechargeable AA batteries), based on CIPA standard*

Dimension (W x H x D): Approx. 3.3 x 2.4 x 1.5 in. (85 x 60 x 39mm)

Weight: Approx. 5.1 oz (145g). (without battery and memory card)

thats the tech specs, copy and pasted

GIMojo!!! 8O 8O And I thought you were a penny pincher! ROFL! That is one sweat camera you got there though.. Great Choice.. :mrgreen:
I got the Nicon CoolPix S5500 at the beginning of the month.. forgot to post about it over here.. sorry guys.. :mrgreen:

Olympus D-580 Zoom. Nothing fancy (until I can get my D-SLR). Simple 4.0MP using xD technology. It works just fine (though the media is expensive).

I'm going to try the Kodak EasyShare Z740 for a while. It seemed to have excellent reviews for a camera in that budget range and it seems to be taking good pics for me so far. I've had it less than 24 hours but it seems to be an easy camera to operate. The manual settings will make it more versatile (for me) and the point and shoot settings will make it easy for my wife to use too. I need to figure out how to take good aquarium shots but, other than that, the camera is working great! I may give an actual review once I've used the camera a bit more but I dont quite feel comfortable with that yet. Great cam so far though....

I want to add a link for a great resource for those in the market to buy a new camera. I found this site to be an incredible help, along with this site and consumer reports. You cant go wrong here....this guy reviews tons of cameras and includes so much information that you cant go wrong. He includes sample pics as well. Great, great source of information for digital camera reviews and information. I only post the link in case you unaware of the resource. Its only a tool and I think its a valuable one. Check it out!!!! Remember though, the proof is in the pudding! Seeing the pics from users on this site is proof for me.

I have a Panasonic DMC-FZ5. 5 megapixels, 12x zoom with image stabilization (really works!). I'm still figuring it out but so far it's great. I haven't used any of the more expensive models but this camera seems like a nice compromise between the compacts and the super-expensive models. So far it is much better that my old Olympus C-3000Z, particularly outdoors. I am having fun playing with exposure, white balance etc to get good pics of my tank...I have a lot of light and no background on the tank yet so lots of reflection from the white wall behind the tank. Anyone else have this camera?

what do you guys suppose would be the best for a quick shot? i have a GREAT digital camera HP photosmart, it takes really detailed pictures, but taking pictures of fish is HARD! i need one that flashes immediately or takes several pictures at once, rather than waiting 5 seconds for a flash

Fuji Finepix s7000

Good camera for getting into digital photography, I plan on getting a Canon DSLR soon though, maybe a 20D

Specs courtesy of steves digi cams:

CCD Sensor 1/1.7-inch 4th Generation Super CCD HR
Number of Total Pixels: 6.63 million pixels
Number of Effective Pixels: 6.3 million
4:3 aspect ratio
Number of Recorded Pixels 4048 x 3040 (interpolated)
2848 x 2136
2016 x 1512
1600 x 1200
1280 x 960
Lens Fujinon EBC coating, glass aspherical element, external focus/zoom control ring
Equivalent to 35-210mm on a 35mm camera
optional 55mm lens/filter adapter
Optical zoom 6x
Digital zoom 3.2x
Focus TTL contrast multi-zone auto, area auto, center point auto, focus lock, manual focus
Focus Range Normal: 1.6ft to infinity
Super Macro: 0.4in-7.9in
Aperture F 2.8-F8 (W)
10 segments in 1/3 increments
Viewfinder Ultra high resolution electronic viewfinder (EVF 0.44" with 235,000 pixels)
Exposure control Auto/P/A/S/Manual/Scene Position
Exposure modes TTL-64 zone Multi-point, Center-weighted average, Spot
Sensitivity Auto: equivalent to ISO 160-800
Manual: equivalent to ISO 200 400 600 800*
*only in 1/2/3M mode
Shutter speed 15 sec. – 1/10,000 sec.
White balance Automatic, Manual (Fine, Shade, Fluorescent light (Daylight), Fluorescent light (Warm White), Fluorescent light (Cool White), Incandescent light), Custom
Flash Auto flash using flash control sensor
Flash mode: Auto, Red-eye Reduction, Forced Flash, Suppressed Flash, Slow Synchro

Effective range (at ISO 200):
1.0ft-27.9ft (W)/3.0ft-25.9ft (T)

Hot shoe for external flash
LCD monitor 1.8-inch TFT (118,000 pixels)
Shooting modes Auto, Exposure Combination, Macro, Movie
Continuous shooting modes Continuous first or last 5 frame @ 3.3fps 12MP shooting
40 frame 1/2/3MP continuous shooting
Special shooting modes Continuous autofocusing, Continuous 3.3fps up to 5 frame 12MP shooting, 40 frame 1/2/3MP continuous shooting, auto bracketing, photo mode control – ISO/Resolution/Color, sharpness, multi-exposure, custom white balance
Movie recording 640 x 480 @ 30fps with sound
320 x 240 @ 30fps with sound
Movie clip length limited to media capacity
File formats Still image: JPEG (Exif Ver 2.2), RAW
Movie: AVI (Motion JPEG), WAV
Design rule for Camera File system compliant / DPOF-compatible
Storage media xD-Picture Card (16MB to 512MB)
CompactFlash Type I and II
Microdrive
Recording capacity with one 16MB xD-Picture Card (included) Still Image Movie
12MP (Fine) 12MP (Normal)
3 6
6MP 3MP 2MP
10 20 25
1MP RAW
33 1

640x480

320x240

Approx. 13sec. Approx. 26sec.
Video out NTSC and PAL switchable
Voice memo 30 seconds
Playback Single frame (with 14.4 playback zoom), 9 multi-frame
Camera terminal USB 2.0 interface
Power source 4 x AA batteries (NiMH, lithium, alkaline)
or AC-5V AC Adapter (optional)
Dimensions 4.8(W) x 3.2(H) x 3.8(D) inch
121 x 82 x 97 mm
Weight 17.6 oz / 590 g (excluding batteries and media)

Nikon D70s Digital SLR here with the 18-70mm, 70-300mm lenses. Bought specifically for tank pics, lol. Then for vacations (a bonus with the 6GB microdrive in it).

Back
Top Bottom