My Tank On My Desk At Work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Just thought I would post a pic of my desktop tank at work...

Timbo, I've really been considering a "desktop reef"... something onthe order of maybe 5 gallons... can you tell me a little about your setup? The equipment you have... looks like just HOT filter and heater, LS,LR... is that it? NO lights? very curious!

thanks!

I bought the Galaxy 5 from WalMart for $29 on sale... It came with an 8 watt eclipse tube in it.. Matter of fact, it is an eclipse tank marked AquaTech, Galaxy 5, sold by WalMart.

The sand is Carribsea Flamingo Reef Sand and it is about 7 lbs worth.

The rocks are some that came out of my tank at home, also about 7 lbs.

I took the filter mechanism that came with it, out, and replaced it with a HOB filter for a 10 gal.. Something cheap, I believe it is Primo or something like that... Anyway, there is no filter media except for carbon. No floss or anything, the LR and LS do that for me..

I also went to Wal Mart later and bought two 13 watt PC desk lamps and tore them apart, re-wired them. I took out the 8 watt POC that was in the hood, and replaced it with the 13 watt PC's.. I then ordered 2 50/50 13 watt PC's from AH Supply. These will be in today and I will change out the yellow looking bulbs for those.. BTW, the Desk lamps came with 6400K lamps in them.. and the lamp was $10... :D

Anyways, I change about 2 quarts water per week, and try to keep the PO4 and NO3 down... The carbon keeps it crystal clear...

I am battling some hair and cyano in it right now, but it will be overcome. :wink:

If you do this at work, beware that you will get a lot of visitors at your desk... And soon have to charge 25 cents for viewing... Lets face it, it buys an ice cold Coca Cola every now and again.. :lol:

That looks great! Unfortunately I work in a completely PC environment and with my luck it would "offend" someone. So I'll just be envious of yours....

Thats funny, I work in a complete PC environment too...Everyone loves it until I tell them how much money it cost to start and maintain one... :lol:

Thanks for the info! I'm deffinitly going to have to consider this.... Should probalby check with the boss type to be sure there's no issues. hell... might even be able to convince him the Dept needs a dept tank.. could get bigger than a 5 gal! :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom