Native collecting trip w/ pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jetajockey

come get me tang police!
Went to a local place here called carpenters park as well as another place called pond creek and did a little collecting. We went on wed/thurs/fri for just an hour or so each day.

And here we go.

Elassoma evergladei aka pygmy sunfish
img_1353722_0_5ce5f706dc40fb46b4cf66eda92bfb2a.jpg

some kind of epic cute baby crawfish
img_1353722_1_d1d86324eb32a48a892f6f682561b56e.jpg

flounder-hogchoker
img_1353722_2_d8a23e1c1c6b7522bb5c22d663976d8a.jpg

bluespotted sunfish
img_1353722_3_7179ff4276cdaa879006e9f07be599a4.jpg

Then the 2nd day we went out there, the first thing I saw was this
img_1353722_4_d7b4ea772872a6518f0d1918e506848f.jpg

and for some reason I didn't feel like getting in that day.

And on friday we went to pond creek, didn't get any pics while we were digging around out there, but I do have a few of the fish that I kept.
least killies (heterandria formosa)
img_1353724_0_dd33999df77ef635f81b01256868825c.jpg

russetfin topminnow
img_1353724_1_1d72e9bbd3e2c0f4a419e618dfbf7e6c.jpg

im jealous.the lakes around me are waaayyyyy to dirty to have anything i would trust in an aquarium.

very cool pics... dont blame you for not getting in the second day, water moccosins aren't very friendly

Looked like a baby gator to me. Somewhere around 2-3'? He would most likely have run than bothered you but you never know what else is out there! :)

Nice pics man. Seine or dip?

I use a few different size dip nets. I have a really nice 1/8" mesh one but it's only good in really shallow water and I also have a 1/4" boat landing net that works better in deeper water.

I'm rigging up a retrievable ring net thingamajig, using an old seine net sewn into a bag shape and attached to a 3ft diameter metal ring from an old pier landing net. They make/sell these things online but I'm not paying 50 bucks for one. The idea is to throw the ring out there, pull the line tight to get it upright, and then drag it along.

Looked like a baby gator to me. Somewhere around 2-3'? He would most likely have run than bothered you but you never know what else is out there! :)
Yeah thats a baby gator. It was on the bank right where I was going in and left as soon as I showed up. He wasn't really scary or anything but just a reminder of what kind of stuff I could run into out there, and just made me less keen on diving in lol.

mfd probably went with water moccasin because i told him about one that I almost stepped on also, didn't get a pic of that one =]

jetajockey said:
they top out around 1 1/4" . They are great little nano fish. Here's a pic of an elassoma gilberti that we caught northwest of panama city beach back in april.

That's a freaken' cool fish. I know we have Sunfish in TN but I don't know about those.

Make time :). Going again in the morning after I get off work. Have a new net in the arsenal and can't wait to try it. Took a 30" diameter metal ring, attached a seine net to it and added a rope, so now its a dip net on a rope. I think it'll be really effective, there's a company that makes them but I couldn't see myself forking out 50 bucks for it.

Too bad the fish up here are mostly bland and brown :(. Although i did find a baby blue crayfish once...

I checked my field guide and it looks like there is one species that is in range in western TN, elassoma zonatum (banded pygmy sunfish) not quite as colorful but still a nice fish in its own right.

I dont think we are allowed to collect native fish here.

Doubt they have places like that here in NJ. But man, awesome. did you keep the blue spotted sunfish? That flounder thing looked cool too. How big do these get (flounder and sunfish)?

Back
Top Bottom