Princess Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xstream

Aquarium Advice Activist
My daughters are loving their fish, and I must admit I am enjoying getting into the hobby. I snapped some decent shots today, and thought I would share.

Warning! Our tank theme is very bright and a little obnoxious...

image-1050038008.jpg

image-893489837.jpg

image-61214723.jpg

image-834270044.jpg
This Mystery Snail was riding the current from our HOB filter trying to reach some flake food stuck in the artificial plant. The girls had a good laugh watching "him".

I had a tank similar to that when I was little too! My dad hated looking at it so he kept it in my bedroom so he only had to see it during w/c's and feedings.

It's cute though! It's nice to let the kids have a tank of "their own" :)

When I have kids, I'll let them choose the fish, but I'll choose the theming!

Have I mentioned the tank is in our living room? LoL. They love it and that is all that matters. Once I got this tank set up and become more established at my new job, I plan on watching eBay for a big tank for daddy.

Meet Ivory, she is one of our three mystery snails. She normally hangs out in the princess castle, so I grabbed a few quick shots of her as she came out after tonight's water change.

image-1444924474.jpg

First time I have seen one of them extend this far put of their shell.

image-1305140464.jpg

So the Princess Tank is about four months old now. Levels have stayed constant for about two months now. We lost two fish since the setup, but both were within a couple of days of purchase. We did lose all three snails. I have never really determined the cause. And we lost two ghost shrimp (one the day after I introduced her and the other, which I had for a few weeks, after she ate her dead tank mate).

I have upgraded the filter to a 20 gallon filter, added a medium size air stone and pump, and rearrange the decor until I and the tank residents seemed happy.

It is still bright and colorful, but my two year old loves helping daddy feed the fish and the nine month old loves to sit in her bouncer and watch them.

Our tank is stocked with the original Dalmatian Molly and Mickey Mouse Platy we purchased four months ago, a Red Wag Platy, a school of four Neon Tetras, and two (I think there are still two) Ghost Shrimp. I have been amazed at how much the MM Platy has grown!

I am currently doing 30-50% water changes once a week and cleaning the gravel and decor every three to four weeks. Water parameters are staying great. And all through our home flooded and we had to leave the fish here while we were displaced for almost three weeks (don't worry we were by almost every day) everything is great.

The tank has been very rewarding and our family loves our pets. I have to say this forum has the greatest source of accurate information I have found on the net. Thank you to each and every one who answered my questions or commented on my updates. You all are awesome.

image-3342350957.jpg

image-908868921.jpg

image-2297156112.jpg

If I had to make a tank for kids, it would probably strongly resemble your's!!!

Thank you for your kind words. The girls love it. We are currently in a small condo. My wife American I have agreed this tank will go into our girls room when we buy a house. Then I will start my own freshwater tank. There will be no pink in that tank.

Came home to find a dead tank mate. Our newest addition was a Red Wag Platy. Came home to find him floating. We've had him near a month... I am testing water right now, but I just did a water change Saturday.

It is a 10 gallon tank. It has been cycled for a while. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, and Nitrate around 10-20 ppm.

Tank is clean and everything else seems fine. He was swimming around with our Mickey Mouse Platy that morning.

It is a 10 gallon tank. It has been cycled for a while. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, and Nitrate around 10-20 ppm.

Tank is clean and everything else seems fine. He was swimming around with our Mickey Mouse Platy that morning.

Sometimes they are done before you would think. He may have been picked on or who knows. What were the tank mates

Back
Top Bottom