Show off you Low-Tech Tanks here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lovin Fish said:
Oh my gosh that is gorgeous!(y) Thank you for sharing! I see a hatchetfish...what else is swimming arond in your beautiful tank?

Thanks:) i have hatchetfish, glowlight tetras, angels, a peacock eel, and a german blue ram

image-3510917799.jpg

56 gallon column tank

image-1159210019.jpg

75 gallon just got Rescaped

image-2397826694.jpg

20 gallon shrimp tank.

image-3863094664.jpg

37 gallon endlers species #2 tank

Only t5 lights on all of them and weekly flourish comprehensive. The 56 and 75 get daily excel as well.

Great tanks! The bar is set really high. I can't wait for spring to hit the Upper Midwest so I can troll the waterways for some killer driftwood and rock.

Just a big old wad of java moss. They love trolling through it looking for food and eating the tiny leaves that grow on it

Wy Native Bog Tank

Started out as a tank for carnivours plants, evolved into a American snapping turtle holding tank, and then into its current morph; a Wyoming native bog-like tank.

Tank:
The tank is a 20gal long Turtle-tank made by Zilla; tank is only about 1/4 full of water

Equipment:
Filters: AquaClear AC30 HOB filter, and Whisper internal filter
Lighting: Aqueon strip light w/ standard aquarium bulb and an Aqueon twin tube strip light w/ one standard aquarium bulb and one Floraxam plant bulb
Top: standard Zilla center-hinged screen top

Scape:
The tank was scaped using GE type II 100% silicone and river rock, it also contains a single piece of unknown (but most likely cottonwood) driftwood

Substrate:
Aquatic: standard aquarium gravel
Terrestrial; peat moss and sand mixture

Fauna:
Invertes: crayfish (possibly Orconectes virilis), damselfly nymphs, dragonfly nymphs, freshwater mussels, mayfly nymphs, planaria, scuds, snails, and stonefly nymphs
Vertebrates:
Fish, most likely some type of shiner (possibly sand shiners)

Flora:
Emergent: Equisetum, Forget-Me-Nots Mint and native sedge
Floating: Duckweed
Submergent: hornwort
Terrestrial: moss, native fern, and a orchid

Set-up:
To create the scape, I simply siliconed river rock into position, then filled in behind with the peat moss and sand mixture. I made no attempt to create a water-tight barrier, as I figured on working with hydrophytes.

Since everyone likes photos (and that is the point of this thread), here are a few of my favorite shots, and a current FTS.

img_1785665_0_19e5bac5774081c6c719da2ba2d4358b.jpg

img_1785665_1_5f816ae281de5ff99c4fefd6f6f1bfd4.jpg

img_1785665_2_ad82ababb4d836baaf27773e01fb93b0.jpg

img_1785665_3_92a848f4ccdf54afd67e0e09d67f6f29.jpg

Started out as a tank for carnivours plants, evolved into a American snapping turtle holding tank, and then into its current morph; a Wyoming native bog-like tank.

Tank:
The tank is a 20gal long Turtle-tank made by Zilla; tank is only about 1/4 full of water

Equipment:
Filters: AquaClear AC30 HOB filter, and Whisper internal filter
Lighting: Aqueon strip light w/ standard aquarium bulb and an Aqueon twin tube strip light w/ one standard aquarium bulb and one Floraxam plant bulb
Top: standard Zilla center-hinged screen top

Scape:
The tank was scaped using GE type II 100% silicone and river rock, it also contains a single piece of unknown (but most likely cottonwood) driftwood

Substrate:
Aquatic: standard aquarium gravel
Terrestrial; peat moss and sand mixture

Fauna:
Invertes: crayfish (possibly Orconectes virilis), damselfly nymphs, dragonfly nymphs, freshwater mussels, mayfly nymphs, planaria, scuds, snails, and stonefly nymphs
Vertebrates:
Fish, most likely some type of shiner (possibly sand shiners)

Flora:
Emergent: Equisetum, Forget-Me-Nots Mint and native sedge
Floating: Duckweed
Submergent: hornwort
Terrestrial: moss, native fern, and a orchid

Set-up:
To create the scape, I simply siliconed river rock into position, then filled in behind with the peat moss and sand mixture. I made no attempt to create a water-tight barrier, as I figured on working with hydrophytes.

Since everyone likes photos (and that is the point of this thread), here are a few of my favorite shots, and a current FTS.

img_1789399_0_19e5bac5774081c6c719da2ba2d4358b.jpg

img_1789399_1_5f816ae281de5ff99c4fefd6f6f1bfd4.jpg

img_1789399_2_ad82ababb4d836baaf27773e01fb93b0.jpg

img_1789399_3_92a848f4ccdf54afd67e0e09d67f6f29.jpg

That is sick! Very cool.

How do you get one of these started? I always think these tanks look great but don't know what plants to get or how to make them grow. Or rocks or anything like that. What's some advice?

I'm working on setting up my first low-tech also! I am going to use top soil, pottery clay, dolomite, flourite, and Muriate of potash. Browse through the planted tank section of this forum and you will probably be able to find some info about setting up.
I just did a lot of google searches to find out the best way of going low-tech for what I want. There are several different ways. Each has it's own reasons.
Have fun and good luck!

Last edited:
This is mine. I just have an aqueon t5no fixture on it and I'm going to be dosing excel soon.
Fauna: male betta, harlequin rasboras and otos (going to soon be adding shrimp and maybe a micro crab)
Flora: vals, rotala, moss ball, Java fern, dwarf hairgrass, microswords and small Amazon swords that will be moved once they outgrow the tank
The second pic has a better shot of my betta :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120213_003456.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120213_003456.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 92
  • ForumRunner_20120213_003506.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120213_003506.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 94
47 gallon about 3 weeks in. Unable to do any more for the mean time as we have rather suddenly decided to move and I figured the less I have to uproot and change the better. I am thinking of losing the white gravel when I redo it in the new place as it is going brown quite quick dont know if some algae eaters may change that and keep it all white. Thinking of putting some sort of carpet grass along the front too.

Attachments

• image-3083384358.jpg
    image-3083384358.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 90
Back
Top Bottom