Show off your best fish pictures!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My three tangs

6218-albums6891-picture31662.jpg

Ok, I know this is a fish picture tank thread, but may I ask a question? I have a 10 gallon tank, quite possibly upgrading to a 20 gallon soon, and I love those German Blue Rams. I have heard that they are almost impossible to be able to be kept alive for more than a few weeks. The current inhabitants of that tank are 5 Cories (3x False Julii, 2x Peppered Cories) and the GBR would make a great centerpiece fish. My pH is 7.0-8.0, probably staying in the sevens. I do two 25% water changes a week, and I feed the Cories twice a week. What I am saying is that I need advice from people with experience that can answer my question. Sorry for ruining the thread if I did.

Nils

I've had mine through ich twice, fungus, ammonia spikes. They are great little fish, the delicacy is overblown

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

I agree that the delicacy of GBRs is overblown. I have had the same guy for almost a year now and he's doing great. Just make sure that you acclimate them slowly, especially if the store's tank parameters differ from your tank. Also, I have mine in a 20 gallon bow front, and he is very territorial even though my tank is not fully stocked. So I would definitely lean towards upgrading to a bigger tank from the 10 so the guy has more room. Definitely my favorite fish to keep! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Alright, thanks you guys! I have also heard that they can survive much more than people say they can. They are beautiful, and I would only ever buy one if I had a bigger tank. I feel bad for cramming the 5 cories in the 10 gallon. Would they pick on the Cories?

Nils

Id get a female if you want them with cories.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

The female is smaller and has a pink belly, The male is slimmer and longer........

Are they really that hard to keep alive? I don't want to have a beautiful fish like that die in my aquarium.

Nils

Are they really that hard to keep alive? I don't want to have a beautiful fish like that die in my aquarium.

Nils

I, don't think so,just keep your water nice and they will be fine, just got on WiFi in Tenerife lol

Sweet. I am now definitely getting a ram or two for my 20 long as soon as I get one. Unfortunately one of my big egg laying Julii females passed away last night from the "whirling disease". I am real sad. I got to really love these fish. Anyway, thanks for all your help. Should I get sand, and do they like mossy plants, and anubias and stuff like that?

NIls

Sorry to hear about your julii, I have a sand substrate for my ground dwellers and gbr are fine with that,I have Amazon sword, moss tree, anubus, java fern etc, hop e all goes well, enjoy.......

Sweet. I am now definitely getting a ram or two for my 20 long as soon as I get one. Unfortunately one of my big egg laying Julii females passed away last night from the "whirling disease". I am real sad. I got to really love these fish. Anyway, thanks for all your help. Should I get sand, and do they like mossy plants, and anubias and stuff like that?

NIls

10% chance of success with gbr in a new tank.. you'd be best to wait 5 months but I doubt you will.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Brookster, I hope you realize that I'm not one of those people that goes out and buys fish that won't work for me. You are saying real **** about me not waiting, because I wouldn't do that to the fish. If you guys don't think it's a good idea, just go ahead and say so. I just take the advice of what y'all are telling me. So of course I would wait 5 months or however an experienced GBR keeper would say.

Back
Top Bottom