tips and tricks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

niggit

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have three tanks that i'm itching to show off :wink: but anytime that i've tried to take a picture, they haven't worked out. i have a good quality pentax camera and have taken courses in photography, but the problem i'm running into is getting enough light on the tank (without causing glare/reflection on the glass) to allow a fast enough shutter speed that my active little fishes aren't just blurs. any advice?

here's some things to try:

take the hood / canopy / lights off your tank, and put a few 100 watts of halogen into it (any shutterbug should have a few halogen floods laying around!)

the halogen will give you enough light to focus, and maybe do a few slow shutter shots.

next, with a tripod or some clamps, mount a flash or two either directly above your tank's surface shining down and in, or mount the flash at a 45 degree angle to the glass.

when using a flash, make sure your glass is SPOTLESS otherwise it will show in your flash shots!

also, when using a flash, make sure there is nothing around the tank to reflect light back at the glass, because the glass will also act as a mirror. use black felt to matte your stand / wall behind the tank. (i got two yards of black felt cheap from a fabric store)

hope this helps!

I've yet to figure out how to macro shoot my fast fish ... if it is even possible.

I've yet to figure out how to macro shoot my fast fish ... if it is even possible.

Play with the settings...exposure compensation is a big one with shooting macro shots of your moving fish, flash helps too, but usually doesn't give the best results. To get better color with your flash...play with white balance, I found that using the nikon with a flash under aquarium lights (they play hell with the white balance) I got the best results using the flourescent WB preset.

Back
Top Bottom