10 gallon lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thever

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have a coralife 28 watt over my 10, and was wondering if there would be any benefit to going to say 3-15 watt t8's? I'm thinking of building a hood/light and saw some bulbs at lowes. Seems that 3 lamps would distribute the light a bit better in the tank.

Id also like to leave the door open for the future, possibly going w/ a 20 gallon, probably tall so I could reuse the hood.

I've heard of that being used before. Seems like those people like the effects. Personaly i use 2 cfs and 1 15w t8 for my 10gallon and that spread the light out quite nicely

Im still a bit confused regarding the actual light levels that are being attained, w 45watts of t8 light, would that be considered high light or not? From what i read, the wpg falls apart at smaller tanks, how small I dont know

anything less than a 20 long is where it gets wierd. My 10 gallon has 2 13w CFLs (not the most efficient light because of shape) and then 1 t8 at 15 w so math wise thats about 41 watts over the 10 gallon. so 4.1WPG but thats the thing that would be a very high light tank (using wpg rule). But i still cant get the HC to grow as low as i want. So to me that means i am still in the medium range. If i take into account the efficiency of my lights (cfls and t8s) i would say i am getting close to a 2.5wpg maybe less. which is medium light. So yes to CO2 and fertz

Back
Top Bottom