3/4" Check Valve on Return?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrbee2828

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm getting ready to finish up my sump setup and was cutting the return lines to size this morning when I started thinking about the check valve I bought. The line will be a 3/4" return run by a Seltz L 740gph pump at about 5'. The check vavle is spring loaded (it feels like it anyway). When actually pressing on the inner valve, to me anyway, it feels kinda' stiff. I'm wondering if that is going to hurt the pumps ability to return water or if I just don't know how much pressure the thing really outs out and it'll be fine. I don't know if I really need the check in the line but I was just over thinking the danger of a back flow even with a hole drilled at the top. Thoughts?

I don't run a check valve on mine just the drilled hole. Actually, I have two drilled, one at the water line and one just below that just in case.

I turn off my sytem at least once a day usually and so far not a problem. I was worried that a check valve woudl fail so I didn't put one in. :)

I ended up just returning it today and not sweating it. I figure it will just restrict flow if anything. The spray bar is just barely in the water surface so the siphon would break right away if there was a power failure. Thanks!

yeah,I wouldn't have used a check valve,just something else to get blocked.Your spray bar is probably the best thing for an air break,cant see them holes ever all getting blocked at once!!

Back
Top Bottom