Divided Tank needs 2 heaters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrazyPlantLady

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
If I install a perm glass divider (siliconed in) in an aquarium, would I NEED to provide a heater for both sides to keep the temperature consistant?

Also, anyone know of a paint I could use on the glass divider so that the fish cannot see each other through the glass divider? I don't want to hurt the fish with something toxic!

krylon spray paint would work. i would put a heater in each side if there isnt a lot of water flow.

with flow it will push the heated water to the other side. with out it there will most likely be cold spots. i would also put a power head on the side that doesnt have the filter or add 2 filters.

The tank will be completely divided by the glass, no sharing of any water at all. Separate filters, separate water. The filters will be sponge filters since these will be fry tanks for microrasbora.

I'd been told that since the glass is single pane it would tranfer the heat and I'd only need one heater, but I'm not convinced of that.

while it is true that the glass will transfer the heat (being only one pane) there will still be a difference in temperature between the two sides. just measure the temperature of your water and then take a reading on the glass on the outside of the glass. there can be 2-3 degrees difference. Plus with out the heated water moving and flowing into the non heated side it takes longer for the heat transference to the far side of the non heated side. for more constant temperatures and better health of the fish it would be best to put 1 heater in each side. just remember that with the tank divided in half the wattage of the heater can be divided in half.

while it is true that the glass will transfer the heat (being only one pane) there will still be a difference in temperature between the two sides. just measure the temperature of your water and then take a reading on the glass on the outside of the glass. there can be 2-3 degrees difference. Plus with out the heated water moving and flowing into the non heated side it takes longer for the heat transference to the far side of the non heated side. for more constant temperatures and better health of the fish it would be best to put 1 heater in each side. just remember that with the tank divided in half the wattage of the heater can be divided in half.

I haven't built the tank yet to include the dividers, so I can't check the temperatures yet. But I think I'll return the larger heater I bought and get two smaller ones. Sounds like the best plan.

Thanks all !!:D

100% side note it tends to always be better to have 2 heaters then one in case one goes out.

Back
Top Bottom