DIY- 75g 2x4 stand!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's what I'm thinking man! Swim lessons in the pool not the living room! That would be my main concern.. Failure=flood. I'll be at Home Depot this weekend, I'll look around, I'll draw up something on an envelope when I get home, get the creative juices flowing!

There'd be water in the sump tank? The float would be in the sump tank so if the level got to high or low it would kill the power to pump.

Makes sense so I would need a dual control float switch then
not necessarily, I'm thinking a basic float with small cables/strong fishing line to a simple side by side wall switch, the switched will have to be wired so when both in the on position pump runs, if either one goes to off position, pump off. I think it's simple enough it should really do the job while not requiring extensive electrical experience or a lot if $$

So the float would have 2 lines attached, through circle or eye hooks it would create a sort of puller system to switch, if float pulls line.. Line pulls switch. Easy.. The float would be a cylindrical piece of foam in a PVC tube.

image-755806180.jpg

image-842440472.jpg

Not sure I understand that bro, I was thinking a mechanical float switch. Not sure I like the idea of an electric one siting in there leaking electric to fluffy!

Not sure I understand that bro, I was thinking a mechanical float switch. Not sure I like the idea of an electric one siting in there leaking electric to fluffy!
fair enough.. It's a bit wild i guess, there wouldn't be by electrical in the actual sumo tank though, lines refer to cable or fishing line.

If you've done this before then do what you do! I have zero experience with sumps, I just get excited easily with new crazy ideas haha

The series looks good! Do you think the siphon will keep up with the return? I know when I use a 3/4 hose for a wc, 3' drop makes some strong flow..

I'm gonna have ball valves on each end just in case one can't keep up with the other. Is there a way to calculate the gph for a siphon?

I'm gonna have ball valves on each end just in case one can't keep up with the other. Is there a way to calculate the gph for a siphon?
good call! On your tank, figure a 3.'1/2 ft drop to sump, with 3/4 PVC pipe I'm guesstimating a flow rate of between 500-600 gph, I base this off me filling a 5 gal bucket in 30 seconds with a 3ft by 3/4 hose...if the the pump is stronger it may speed that up some..

So ive decided I want one of these. Thoughts? Pics plus head loss pic

Attachments

• 1394748887688.jpg
    1394748887688.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 1394748898255.jpg
    1394748898255.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 54
  • 1394748914090.jpg
    1394748914090.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 79
I'd say the 9.5 would get you right around 700 gph? That's not factoring in any assistance from the siphoned return either..

Back
Top Bottom