DIY- 75g 2x4 stand!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not if you make it look pretty, than she'll want to re do your bathroom next!

No thanks! That's too much for me. I'm suppose to be fixing this house because it has that old ugly wood paneling and she wants to paint but I don't feel like removing it all and replacing it with sheet rock

No thanks! That's too much for me. I'm suppose to be fixing this house because it has that old ugly wood paneling and she wants to paint but I don't feel like removing it all and replacing it with sheet rock

I have a few rooms in my house that the previous owners (or the ones before them) simply painted over the paneling. In another house I lived in we removed the paneling only to find dark brown wall paper with giant (2') gold lotus leaves.

I have a few rooms in my house that the previous owners (or the ones before them) simply painted over the paneling. In another house I lived in we removed the paneling only to find dark brown wall paper with giant (2') gold lotus leaves.

Wow that must have been horrible. I don't like this paneling

There is a minor structural problem with the stand plans. It relies only on mechanical fasteners (2 screws in each corner) to support the massive weight of the tank. The design would probably be ok for the weight of a 20 g or less but i wouldn't do that for a 75gallon (about 600 pounds). Use another piece of 2x4 under the top shelf horizontal all the way to the floor like a jack stud that supports a header.

There is a minor structural problem with the stand plans. It relies only on mechanical fasteners (2 screws in each corner) to support the massive weight of the tank. The design would probably be ok for the weight of a 20 g or less but i wouldn't do that for a 75gallon (about 600 pounds). Use another piece of 2x4 under the top shelf horizontal all the way to the floor like a jack stud that supports a header.

I'm actually using 4 screws in each part that needs screwed. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the jack stud statement really. There will be center beams going from the floor up in 6 places

Hope this explains it better.
15890-albums647-picture65762.jpg

Wow that must have been horrible. I don't like this paneling

If the room will be a bedroom then no to the painted paneling. If it will be an office, craft or other type, then paneling can come in handy when it comes to hanging light weight items.

I agree with the modifications to the stand. The weight should rest on the studs and not rely on fasteners. These modifications are minor and should not impact the budget (much).

Okay so I finally get what you are talking about FishEggs. I watched a video. I'm gonna do that and also I'm gonna add one more 30" piece to each side so it has the wobble support. I think that will keep it from wobbling plus I'm gonna do what you suggested to every piece of 30" wood and instead of one center brace, I'm gonna remove that and add 2. They will be 2 ft apart on the front and back

So how does this lumber sound.

X10- 30" pieces
X10- 22" pieces
X8- 14 1/2" pieces
X4- 48 1/2" pieces

I will have left over wood so I'm gonna have 5 more 14 1/2 pieces cut and I'll add them for more support. That should be about x10 2x4s

Anybody? I'm going to get it all in a few minutes. Can I skip the osb for the top? I'm gonna add multiple 14 1/2" pieces to the top instead

As long as you "tie" it together well enough, that's what's the ply sheet was for but enough cross bracing will make it work..

Width, the weight falls primarily on the perimeter, basically needing something to hold it all together in the middle.

Width, the weight falls primarily on the perimeter, basically needing something to hold it all together in the middle.

Okay I see now. Yeah that's what I'm doing. I'll take progress pics and show you what I'm thinking of before I jump too deep into it. As long as it will hold 950 lbs then I'm safe

I had the math wrong! I was gonna have a bunch of 14 1/2 pieces cut for the width not 15 1/2". Just to clarify it is 15 1/2" pieces right?

Back
Top Bottom