DIY CO2 into filter intake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jtd1216

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just set up a DIY CO2, and everything i read mentions that i can diffuse the CO2 into the filter intake. I have a HOB, so would i just insert the tube into where the impellor is? Do I need something at the end of the tube (like an airstone) if i use this method? Any help is greatly appreciated! :D

stick the airline into the very end fo the filter intake tube, where it has the grated opening. Depending on the HOB, it might fit over the very tip of the intake. Otherwise, I like to use an airline reducer (to go from standard to micro line) and find that narrow, hard plastic reducer sticks well into the grate opening. Then I just zip-tie it up a few inches so it can't slip or get bumped. Plus the smaller diameter reducer tip means smaller bubbles that break up easier, and quieter, on the HOB impeller.

thanks! i tried inserting the airline into the filter intake tube, and fits nicely. Right now i'm just waiting on the bubbles. Some water has backed up into the airline (protected by a check valve near the jug), will this prevent the CO2 from flowing?

no, the CO2 will build up pressure and push the water out. If you don't have bubbles within 36 hours, either the mixture wasn't prepped right, the yeast used was dead, or the room is too cold. Sometimes you have to put the DIY jug into a shallow pan of water, and use a heater to keep it around 70-75 degrees. If its too cold the yeast stays dormant.

ok makes sense to me.... is it possible/acceptable to place the airline where the intake tube meets the impellor?? (i hate the look of the airline in my tank- haha)

Back
Top Bottom