DIY driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calqless

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm cutting down a lawn tree in a month or two. It is dying and I don't want it falling on the house or anyone's vehicles over the winter. Is it possible to take pieces of "driftwood." Boiling is not really an option but soaking for months completely plausible. I have a 75 i have been thinking about taking the dirted planted route, and why not get free wood.

You definitely can. I did it with some azalea bushes a neighbor was throwing away. It took around 2 months for it to dry out.

Seasoning wood depends on the species and the size of the pieces. Some species disintegrate when submerged (grape wood). Some are unsafe for aquariums (cedar, lilac, yew).

Generally, you should leave it dry, open to the elements for a while to properly "cure". Remove the bark as much as you can during the process. This can take weeks or months, it depends on the size, species and the conditions where you live. When it's fully dry, it will be much lighter and sound hollow. At that point, you can submerge it.

Change the water daily at first, for as long as it's changing the water appearance in that time frame. For me, the daily water changes lasted about a month with small silver maple branches. Then it was every other day for about 2 weeks. Then once a week for another month. Then I scrubbed at it and let it dry out in the elements again for another week or so.

Then I boiled it just to be safe, but that's not really mandatory.

Back
Top Bottom