DIY Halide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

I really want to set up a 2x175 or 2x250 Halide set up abut really don't want to spend 500+ for a complete kit.

Can it be done cheaper by buying the parts and assembling your own canopy? I plan to build another canopy anyway. I have a 4x55 PC light right now and I could possible use this in conjuction with the Halides or go with a VHO kit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Since you have the PC's already, I'd use them. Just get some actinic bulbs. I'm not sure what you can DIY a halide system for...depends on how much DIY you're willing to do and what kind of ballast you use. Building your own canopy and using MH retro kits might be the way to go. I'd look at every angle before I started buying parts though.

I made my own MH light canopy. Its a simply wood box lined with aluminum roof flashing as a reflector and holes in both ends for fans. I just went down to my local electric supply store and bought Magnetech ballasts and mogul sockets and wired it myself. The ballasts are behind the tank on the floor so size or heat from them isn't an issue. The only thing I have to watch for is when I buy bulbs I make sure they work with a M57 probe start ballast. You can see some of the types of probe start bulbs at http://www.aquarium-lighting-guide.com/metal-halide-ansi

Do you think you will have a lot less $$ into it when you are done? Seems like some of the retro kits only really allow more flexibility
True. Retrofit kits are not the best way to save money when DIY'ing MH lights. Buy the ballasts at electrical supply houses either local or online. Core and coil are the cheapest. Electronic are more efficient and cooler. The pricey part is the bulb. It can be done WAY cheaper than commercial units but requires a significant amount of DIY and electrical wiring.

The wiring does not bother me. I just want to get the right equipment the first time around.

Can you suggest a good online dealer?

With the Solas quad volt ballast all you would need to do is get some type of reflective material, a MH bulb, attach a plug and mount it? Do the ballast need to be enclosed in anything? I have space under the tank in the stand.

Have you had any experience disassembling a prebuilt fixture? I have this JBJ PC fixture that is a cheap fixture but I wonder how easy it is to take it appart and re-mount?

Thanks

With the Solas quad volt ballast all you would need to do is get some type of reflective material, a MH bulb, attach a plug and mount it? Do the ballast need to be enclosed in anything?
Yes and yes.
There is a simple schematic on the transformer. You need to be mindful of which wires you use for the primary (the quad volt part) and there is a capacitor in the mix too. It will need to be mounted in a well ventilated metal enclosure - core and coil ballasts get quite hot. You will also need a mogul base socket for the bulb. That's pretty much it though. Pretty simple.

Thanks obx! That makes sense looks easy enough too. I wonder if the the other ballast are similar to the graybar?

Now I just need to decide if I want to disassemble the PC fixture I have or look at something else. Might see about something else since I don't what to be without light all together.

I think that you may be limited to the Iwasaki bulb with the set up in the link that I posted. If you want to go to that route, go to your Home Depot armed with the Advance ballast #. HD's carry Advance products and should be able to order the ballasts for you. Somebody posted that they did that and got the ballasts for about 29 bucks a pop.

I wondered about that. I had not heard of that bulb mentioned on here before. I have seen mentioned on ebay that some ballasts allow different brands of bulbs?

Probe start ballasts(M57, M58, M59) which I believe an Advance ballast is, will let you run a wide variety of bulbs including the Iwasaki, Hamilton, Coralife, XM and CoralVue to name a few. I've only run Coralifes and Hamiltons on my M57 ballast so I can't say for sure about the others, but the web site I posted earlier in this thread says those others will also work.

The ballasts I used are Advance and are fully encapsulated, like in the photo from the link above. They sell for 88.00 at Grainger. You could probably find them a bit cheaper but not too much I don't think. I am currently running (2) Hamilton 2000K 175 watt MH on them now. They work just fine. The ballasts are fairly easy to mount and are less than a foot long. I just mounted them to the back of the cabinet on metal standoffs that I made so the heat would not be directly on the wood.

Alright, I have been researching this an it seems like it might just be easier to buy one premade.

Parts:
2 Advance ballasts 2@$30
2 Iwaski 6500k bulbs 2@$59
PFO reflector/socket 2@$45
This is $270 and ballasts boxes and wiring will be needed.

Then a supplimental light(VHO or PC will be needed) Not really sure on the pricing here.

Then I see this on Ebay:
4' MH VHO light 2x250 2 110 VHO and 2 10K MH bulbs included $395

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46314&item=4300609085&rd=1

How does this compare? I don't mind building but I feel I have to research too much and end up on here asking too many questions :) Seems like this would be a bit more expensive but would mount to a canopy with ease and all would be taken care of.

Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom