DIY Hood and Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This may be a stupid question, but do you have a clear cover on the tank? Or is it just open between the water and the lighting?

Looks fantastic!

Right now its open, but was planning on having some thin glass cut to fit in 3 pieces tomorrow, why? Any better ideas? Thanks, Im loving it too.

No, just wondered if it was ok to leave them open or not.

I just picked up a used 55g cichlid setup and its in worse shape than I thought. I've been thinking about trying something like this.

lining the hood with some sort of reflective material may give you a bit more brightness with just the 2 bulbs.. and the glass cover sounds good...just don't forget handles lol

Yes, I believe it will prolong the lifetime of the hood, bamecause humidity could certanly damage the wood, so I'll definately go for glass lids. On my 15 gal I covered the inside of the hood with aluminum foil, I might do something along those lines.

If you do try to build one I'll be glad to help with what I can.

just one question. how does youur hood rest on the tank? did you build tabs on the inside of the hood that rest on the tank??

The lateral sides of the hood currently rest on the tank and I ran out of wood, but tomorrow or the day after I'll get some more and add rest to front and back.

I did it this way so the front and back could go a little bit down and cover the front part specially where the water level is visible. That way from the front all that is seen is water not the fogged air portion.

ahh ok. I think imma put L-brackets on the inside lower portion so that my hood sits down over the black framing..

All slots full, 3 x 75 watts and 1 x 90 watts. I'll be adding some rocks tomorrow and trimming plants, some pictures will come up after that.

Hello, can you please tell me how did you do the hood? I have plenty of light in my room so I only ned a hood, because my swordtails keep jumping out of the water all the time. And I think that ordering a glass hood from the glass store wouldnt be a good choice because Im affraid it might drop and brrak, while yours looks perfect :)
Thanks!

Do you keep live plants? Because there you need lights in the hood and if you dont you might still consider them for the fact that they make the fish look nicer.

Have you read the while thread? Some explanation to the build is there. A 1 1/2 x 4 Inch frame for the bottom. Two hinges and the top is a smaller frame 2 inch x 2 inch and a thin piece of wood to your appropiate size.

If you post some pics and give me the dimentions I might help you with some blueprints.

Sincerely? Thanks a lot!
I dont have any live plants but Im on vacation and found some moss in a pond nearby and I planning to add that to the tank, even though I still dont know what it is ???
Anyways now that you said it I guess lights would make my fish looks better, even though the tank is near the balcony.
Umm, my tanks already has some plastic stands, for a hood I think, not sure. Anyways im on vacation and dont know the size for sure, but can you wait until I get back ( 3 days left ) so i can give you pictures and more info? Thanks, and sorry

Sure, no problem. Send me the info when you get back home.

I would strongly recommend against putting plants you picked up from outside in the tank. Maybe if you quarentine them for a long time, but if you can get some from a fish store, that would be the best. Just because you would be taking a big chance of introducing some kind of disease.

Still for building the hood you will have to ask your parents for help and permission. Dont want you to get in trouble with them or hurt yourself.

yes, I asked my dad and he said that it would be fine, he is going to find the wood and help me :D. Thanks again!
About the plants, yeah, many critters washed away when I swished it in dechlorinated tap water, so I guess that many should be still living there. Ive read several methods from people, ill do those before I add the plants in my tank. Quarantine? How? Can you tell me? I found it hard to keep the moss i fund alive in a bucket woth dechlorinated tap water, it died so I had to go to the pond and pick another one. i mean ive never done it before, what would the plant feed on if I quarantine it?
Thanks again!

Henri said:
About the plants, yeah, many critters washed away when I swished it in dechlorinated tap water, so I guess that many should be still living there. Ive read several methods from people, ill do those before I add the plants in my tank. Quarantine? How? Can you tell me? I found it hard to keep the moss i fund alive in a bucket woth dechlorinated tap water, it died so I had to go to the pond and pick another one. i mean ive never done it before, what would the plant feed on if I quarantine it?
Thanks again!

Just put them in a bucket or spare smaller tank, but they have to have a lamp or some sort of bulb over it and not far away from the surface.

Just for a couple of weeks and if you have read of hydrogen peroxide diluted solutions I've heard that works too never done it though. If you are going to try that ask you parents help.

For nutrients when you do your PWC (periodic water change) add the old water to the bucket and that should be enough.

Back
Top Bottom